Need new MBA... i5 or i7??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eggersj, Feb 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2008
    Hello Everyone,

My 2008 1st Gen MBA is finally crapping out on me. Started with Kernal panics a couple weeks ago, Tried to clean it up, but now the sound won't work (greyed out) and Itunes won't play music or video (stays at 0:00). I think the logic board is going out again. I've already had it refurbished once in early 2010 through Apple, so I'm ready to upgrade!

I am planning on the 11", 4GB model, as I am traveling more for work. I am wondering if I should go with the i5 or upgrade to the i7.

I just use this machine for streaming video, Itunes, word, excel, and basic web surfing (NYT, Wash Post, Insideline, CNET etc.... )

Will I notice a huge difference between the i5 and the i7?

Sorry for the elementary question, I just wanted to get some feedback.
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2009
    Paris, France
    i5 will be fine for your needs. i7 is useful for pro applications like FCX, Adobe etc.
  4. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    Coming from the original, either model will be a significant upgrade, between the CPU and the SSD. With the new models coming out in a few months (likely around July) you might consider seeing what's available from the refurbished stock.
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2008
    Thanks guys! Well, I guess that settles it!

I know there are new ones possibly coming out sometime soon, but that's ok with me. If it was next week I would wait, but I can't make it to July.

I get about 8% off through my companies discount, so it won't be too bad. Certainly MUCH cheaper than my 1st gen. ;)