Need new router...suggestions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JesterJJZ, Jan 19, 2007.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I think my router is dying and I need a new one. my internet connection on all the computers in the house has come to a crawl. Plugging my machines right into my cable modem makes everything fast again. So I figure the router is the culpret, worked fine for a couple years. I currently have a Linksys 8-port wired router. So I'd like anotherone with at least 8-ports on it. I've thought aboout wireless but I don't need it and my house is already wired for ethernet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

As far as non-Apple branded cable/DSL routers go, I've always liked Linksys the best. They've been the most reliable for me. I'd go for another one of those.

4. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I thought perhaps I should be looking at another brand. I had a 4-port Linksys that failed as well.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I got a Linksys wireless router that is still working after 3 years :)

Maybe you have a bugged power supply somewhere that is burning these things out.

6. aj98 macrumors member

Linksys has released several firmware updates over the last couple of years.

Is your routers firmware up to date?

Also, try powering down the router for several minutes. (Effectively, flushing the routing tables, etc.) Improvement?