Need Opinion: Evoluent Verticalmouse 2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zelmo, Jul 14, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

link

Lately I have observed that my wrist gets fatigued after an hour or so of mousework (and no, "mousework" is not a euphemism for something else :eek: ). My wife, an occupational therapist, has determined that since I am not feeling any tingling, it is not the onset of CTS. More likely a mild case of arthritis. Great, nothing like more signs of getting old to cheer me up.

At any rate, I was looking at this device, and thought it seemed like a good alternative to wearing a brace. When my wrist is sore, just turning my wrist to place my hand on it's side almost immediately brings relief, so I'm thinking this might be a good solution. However, I'm not particularly interested in forking over $60 without having something more than a hunch and a nice screen shot to go on. So, has anyone here owned, tested, or even seen in person, one of these devices?

2. punkbass25 macrumors member

macaddict did a review of that mouse in i think last months issue

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'll go and find the edition and the article now. I do remember them also doing that as well.

4. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Ah, thanks for the heads up on that review, punkbass25. Good review overall, maybe I'll give it a shot. I only wish the Mac driver for the extra buttons wasn't $20, and that they made a BT version. Naturally, they won't release that BT version until after I buy this one. :rolleyes:

5. 603 macrumors member

a good mouse is important, but...

a good mouse is important, but i strongly urge you to look up "contrast hydrotherapy" on Google as a permanent, simple, and virtually free treatment for pain that you suspect to be RSI-related. it's amazing.

6. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Update/Review:

I purchased this mouse, and have been using it for the past three days. On first view I thought this was a damn big mouse and a complete waste of my money. However, I must say that it doesn't feel as big in the hand as it looks to the eye (already regret typing that last bit - you guys are such perv's ;) ), and it works very well. I was worried that, because clicking a mouse button meant a lateral move instead of a downward move, clicking would cause the mouse to move slightly. There was a minor adjustment while I learned to apply a slight bit of pressure from my thumb to counter the mouse click, and this quickly became a non-issue.
    This mouse is very comfortable, and the hand position feels quite natural. Best of all, no more fatigue in my wrist or arm. While not for everyone, I would recommend this mouse to anyone looking to relieve a little RSI.
    Now, if I can figure out how I might use the other three buttons on this 5 button mouse, I might have to pick up that driver.