Need opinion on buying a second-hand eMac 2006

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cool-dude-Prav, Sep 25, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I saw this good deal at a computer store near my place yesterday, and wanted to evaluate it and know whether I should go for it or not...

It was an eMac 2006 with the following config (which I read off the CD/DVD-Drive's flip-open slot...)
    Code:
    1.4 GHz G4 Processor
    1 GB RAM
    160 GB Hard Drive
    CD-RW/DVD-RW drive
    And it was being sold for Canadian $500 which works out to about US$ 500.15 and about Euros 355 and about UK Pound 250 according to Google Calculator...

Do you guys think its a good deal???

Also, Could you please suggest me a way to check the tech specs of that Mac by using some nifty tool or something? I am new to Macs, but am looking for something like CPU-Z/Everest which can give all the H/W information about a PC...

Please help...

Regards,
    Prav.

2. macrumors regular

Click on the "About this Mac" item in the blue Apple menu (top-left of the screen) for H/W specs.

3. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though I do not know how accurate this site is. Mac2Sell lists that eMac at CA$660. In the US it is listed at $590 which seems to be accurate for the increased price of Macs in Canada due to tariffs.

Edit: To elaborate on jvencius's post hit the "more info" button after about this Mac. You will get a detailed listing that is sort of a hybrid between CPU-Z and Device Manager in Windows.

4. macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Not a bad deal. I sold a 1ghz, 768 ram, 80gb HD for $450. Still a pretty decent machine for most uses. Not great for video editing. But beyond that runs pretty much everthing well. Including CS2.

5. macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

See the Toronto craigslist, they sell much cheaper there, (150 dollar savings) with that said, $500 is a competitive price from a retailer.

Edit: I jus realized that its fully upgraded. I think that its an excellent value.

6. macrumors 65816

Squonk

That seems like a fair deal for a machine ready to hit the ground running (enough RAM, HD and a CD burner). I always liked the eMacs. You'll be set for Tiger as well. If a refurb iMac is out of reach, then this would be a fine way to go.