Need Opinion on my new iPod (having problems)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by furryrabidbunny, Mar 30, 2007.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I'm on my the fifth iPod i've owned, and its giving me more headaches than my shuffles. It is a 5.5 generation full size. I've had it since last thursday. I'm averaging about seven hours of battery life only, and the hard drive makes clicks and hissing noises. Today on my lunch break, the iPod froze (just stopped playing music, the screen remained on and it wouldn't respond to anything). By the time i left the battery drained. Is this worth taking to applecare?

My other question is if I get it replaced under applecare, will my warranty remain the same? I don't want to give up my year warranty for a 90 day one because their product was acting up.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The warranty should remain the same and you should take it back to Apple. Clicking sounds form the hard drive aren't good. :)

3. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Man this sucks...

A little over a week old too. Now the clicking sound isn't constant, would that make any difference?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not necessarily. The iPod isn't constantly accessing the hard drive. When not accessing the drive, there shouldn't be any clicking. I know it sucks, but it's the sort of thing you want to get right form the start, so definitely take it back to Apple. There are a few things you could try like reformatting the drive and reinstalling the firmware, but I wouldn't bother considering it's so young. :)

5. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Okay Mad Jew

I agree with you. When i plugged this thing in... it said the battery was so low it had to charge before connecting ot itunes. That was at six thirty. Now at seven thirty the battery is showing as fully charged. If i call applecare, could I haggle them to send me a brand new iPod and not a refurb.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Dunno mate. I reckon you'd be pretty lucky to get a new one. Good luck. :)

7. mckvakk macrumors regular

if its within the 30 day return period you can just call applestore and arrange for a return, and just ask them to send you a new one:)