Need opinions about what i should get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rmhop81, Aug 16, 2005.

1. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

so here's the deal. I've got the powerbook in my sig hooked up to my 20inch dell monitor as my main machine. So i made the mistake of buying the dell monitor and getting a mac mini, which wasn't the best decision whatsoever. I brought home the mini and it was super slow and would crash like crazy, even after reinstalling tiger. So i decided to return it and i've been using the monitor plugged into the powerbook as the main set up now. Well now here comes the problem. I want to get an iMac but now i have my dell monitor that i don't know what to do with. Fazoola, i think is his name on here, suggested getting an imac and plugging the monitor into that. Just looking for some advice on what others users would do, or buy, bc i only know 1 other mac person and that's my girlfriend so just looking for more opinions, thanks in advance.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why just not sell that spare display? Or maybe give it to me? :D

3. rmhop81 thread starter macrumors 68020

rmhop81

haha name a price. hard to sell on here bc everyone seems to think u can get it for $350 everyday so no one is willing to buy it.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I just got a 1.42ghz Mac mini and I'm running it on a 21" Trinitron, no problems. The Mac mini was probably just a dud. I would get a new one under AppleCare and try that before you do something drastic. The Mac mini/Dell combo should work great.

5. rmhop81 thread starter macrumors 68020

rmhop81

it's the 2nd one i've actually tried so kinda don't wanna mess with a mini anymore. i bought one back when they first came out and the same thing, was slower than h*ll. so best if i just get an imac or powermac or something haha

6. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

Someone I know who uses a 2.53Ghz P4 said the Mac Mini's were quite slow also. I would try to get a Power Mac if you already have a display.

7. rmhop81 thread starter macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yeah that's what i'm kinda debating. either a 20inch imac or 2.0dual pm, i get a corporate discount so they are only a $100 difference.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My first thought was, were you just running it with the standard RAM. The amount of RAM can make all the difference in performance. 512 is the minimum, but 1 GB will make it fly.

If you don't want to try another Mac mini and want to keep the monitor. Then a Power Mac would be a good idea. Just be sire to get AppleCare and extra RAM.