Need PC FireWire Card Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Frisco, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I bought my brother and friend 10 Gig iPods for Xmas. They both have 3-4 year old Dell Desktops without FireWire and USB2.

Can someone please recommend an affordable FireWire card that is powered? What's the difference between Powered and UnPowered ones? Are the unpowered ones the ones that use the iPod adaptor. I just want to make sure I get a powered one.

Thanks in advance!

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Powered means just that, power is in the cable, so you charge your ipod by plugging it in to the PC. THere are 2 types of firewire, 4 pin (unpowered, exsample: sony iLink) and 6 pin (like the ipod uses) If you buy a 6 pin PCI card it will be powered. I seen a belkin one that was 6 pin at walmart. It'd work perfect. They pretty much all come 6 pin if you buy them. Some OEM's bundle 4 pins, which you'd get a cheap adapter for, but you couldnt charge it via the computer.

3. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
  4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've seen them cheap at places like Fry's, and on www.newegg.com (which is great BTW). Around $15. Careful of the really cheap ones (you get what you pay for), but no need to spend $50 on something that won't get much use.

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I bought a Firewire card for my home brew AMD, nearly 2 years ago. payed $90AUD (~50USD at the time) never had any problems has 4 external ports and 1 internal.

If it were me buying I would buy one of these "Meritline USB 2.0 + IEEE 1394 Combo Card"
    http://www.meritline.com/nemeusb20ie1.html

Attached Files: