Need powerful grammar tool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamesmcd, Mar 3, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a powerful grammar-checking utility or plugin which can pick out things like; contractions, sentence fragments, run-on sentences/comma splices, non-parallel structures, subject-verb agreement, dangling modifiers, errors in tense sequence and also things like faulty usage of adverbs, adjectives, conjunctions, prepositions and comparisons.

Basically, I just want a 'really good' grammar checking tool. The one built-in to Microsoft Office 2004 just does not cut it I'm afraid.

I'd appreciate any help,
    James

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How about proof-reading the paper over and over? I find that Office does a good job for the most part and if you need more than that I'd say thats what education is for. Sorry don't know any programs for that.

3. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I find that office does do things like subject-verb agreement, but other than that it does not work too well.

The other things that I listed in the first message are very, and I mean very picky parts of the English Language. A tool that could pick up on these things would probably complain about this entire message in fact. There would probably be many errors.

... and besides... I did learn three languages, so my 'education' in that field leveled out rather than being focused on just one... That's my excuse anyway.

4. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Ok Well I am downloading a program called Grammatica. The download is going extremely slow for some reason, but I will get there eventually, I hope.

I will post on its performance.

5. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Sorry man, I hate to tell you but I don't think there is anything out there for you. As you said, English is a complex language, which makes it hard for a simple app to pick up on the intricacies.

6. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Well this new grammar program is awful.

I typed in a completely incorrect sentence which sounded ridiculous, and it said it was fine... awesome...