Need Printer for Mom

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VanMac, Jan 4, 2007.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey.

My mom got a nice little black MacBook for Christmas.

She needs a printer to go with it. Nothing too big or high end. Something that does photos half decently.

Wireless is a requirement, so it needs to be built in, or I need to get Airport Express. Either is fine.

Anywho, any recommendations are appreciated. Budget of around $300, but flexible.

Regards

2. fireworks501 macrumors member

Stay far away from HP's - their Mac driver support is abysmal.

I would suggest a Canon or Epson - I have personally owned 3 Canons on a variety of Mac's - iMac G4, PowerBook G4 12", and MacBook 13" - and they have all worked fabulously via either USB or plugged into my Airport Express.

HOWEVER, my HP DeskJet that I bought with the PowerBook G4 12" was nothing but trouble. Would never buy HP again based on that experience alone - I was using it through USB and sometimes through Airport. I also worked extensively with a combo HP fax/printer/scanner via wireless (again, Airport Express setup). Nothing but tons of problems. I found that their driver support was terrible, customer support awful, picture quality nothing.

Any Canon printer from the PIXMA series should set you out well, or an Epson printer for specifically photo prints.

Enjoy!

Nick

3. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Thanks for the advice.

I also have an HP at home that I cannot connnect to. Sucks.