Need reccomendations on HDD Enclosures

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by agentphish, Sep 26, 2006.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004

I'm looking for reccomendation on HDD enclosures that are STACKABLE and will work with SATA drives. I have 2 SATA 250gb drives and one regular IDE 300gb drive that i need to put into externals.

I'd like them to be as slick looking as possible. I've been unimpressed with what i've seen on newegg.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
  3. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2006
    Yes please, any suggestions would help me as well. I'm looking to put a 300Gb SATA Seagate drive into an external, preferably FW800. But here in the UK, the only one I've seen is from Wiebetech, and it costs as much as the drive did!

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    I highly recommend the Icybox enclosure. It's USB2 and FW, and it comes in IDE and SATA
  5. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    good stuff. Keep them coming.
    Can you link me to the icybox thing?
  6. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    eSATA I don't have connections on my current system for, so how would I connect this to my Powerbook or to my PC?

Maybe I should clarify... I need an enclosure that will hold SATA drives that connects via USB2 or Firewire.
  7. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2002
    New York
    Just be aware that the miniG will not work with Seagate hard drives. Thats a huge bummer. Someone said that seagate drives run too hot.
  8. Proto Media macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    Gnar Cal
    this might work

hey i found this, and was thinking of getting it myself and getting two 750gb drives and putting them in there. it says it only supports up to 400gb, but i dont get why that would be. anyone? anyone? bueller.... anyways if anyone thinks this is a good drive or bad drive or whatever let me know your thoughts on it, I would primarly use it for video editing and sound design. thanks.

here is the link
  9. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2005
    Question will the HDD from macsales, the mercury elite carry segates 5 year warrenty since the HDD they use are made from Segate? I ask because, if you look at the pre-built Hard-drives, they don't seem like a bad deal at all.

In fact i'd use the same HDD as they do (segate baracuda) and their enclosure would cost almost the same... but OWC's warrenty is two year... segate HDD come with a 5 year warrenty, so uhh how this exactly work? :eek:
  10. Surf and Turf macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2006
    In my mind
    Check out the macally phr100su
  11. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    Unfortunately no computers are shipping with SATA ports, though you can probably find a pci card with SATA ports.

Firewire 800 and 400 are slower than SATA and IDE, so right now SATA drives are great for internal because they connect directly to the motherboard. If you want an external, just get an IDE drive and FW400 or 800 case.

If you already have a SATA drive you can get a SATA/FW/USB case for it that has a SATA port or a FW/USB case that you can connect but remember cases for SATA drives are more expensive and cases with SATA ports are even more expensive.

The Firewire/USB is your bottleneck, not the IDE drive.
  12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    For greatest throughput you can get a SATA card for Powerbook (PCMCIA card) or MacBook Pro (ExpressCard) or PCI and PCIe Macs, and then use an eSATA enclosure like the Firmtek line. Sonnet also has an eSATA line.

This is more expensive but more flexible (hot swappable drive trays) and faster (SATA all the way).

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Durring the first two year if the thing breaks you deal with OWC. After that if the thing breaks you have to diagone the problem yourself and if the problem is with the drive (and not the enclose) then you deal directly with Seagate. Seagate is easy to deal with, you get an RMA on-line andsend the drive in. They don't care about reciept becasue the date is stamped on the drive (The five years is from the date of manufacure, not purchase)

What I really want is an enclosure that would hold maybe 6 drives that I could buy now and populate with two drives and keep the other slots for expantion. I know I could simply use a PC chasis but I don't want a big ugly box.