Need recommendation: Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by brooklynipod, Oct 21, 2002.

1. brooklynipod macrumors newbie

Hi there. I just got a new iMac and would like to get some real speakers so that i can phase out my old home stereo component system (I barely ever turn it on now).

Can anyone recommend some fairly powerful speakers for Macs, or suggest, perhaps, an alternate audio amplification solution for a Mac that they are happy with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Rags macrumors member

3. brooklynipod thread starter macrumors newbie

Willing to spend...

I'm ready to spend $150 to $200, though if there is a significant jump in power/quality in the $200 to $250 range I'd be willing to shell out a bit more.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Take a look at this list of speakers.

The system I have is the FPS2000, valued at around $90 or so. With the computer volume, speaker control volume and the sub dial in the middle position I find more than enough power out of the 4 speakers, especially the sub. I'm testing Korn -- Here To Stay (albeit, a controversial artist) right now, thinking how the blue heck did I manage to live for a whole year with those crappy Pro Speakers? :)

You will notice that Cambridge Soundworks lists the minimum power specs for the systems. Don't be fooled by any small numbers. I brought up a similar thread a while back, and Cambridge seemed to pop out at me.

I've cranked the sub dial to maximum position with a very low main volume control, and the sub shakes the house.

It you want total power, go with a MegaWorks System. If you just want something powerful and cheap, take any of the models under $150.

5. Rags macrumors member

I suggest you try out a few pairs of headphones. The best way to get really high quality sound on the cheap. I have a pair of Sennheiser's and I love 'em. Bass isn't as good obviously, but for my taste in music (classical) I only need bass when I actually need it :p Which my 'phones provide nicely. Bose makes a $150 pair called TriPort which are in my opinion VERY nice. I do listen to some rock, so don't thik I'm knocking non classical music.

Something to think about, I can't say much about speakers and I'm not sure what you want out of 'em.

6. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Apple Pro = Rip Off
    Cambridge SW = Good Quality
    Creative = Great Quality, Big price
    Logitech = Very Good Value
    Bose, Boston Acoustics = Top of Range, Top of Price range too, hope this helps

7. brooklynipod thread starter macrumors newbie

8. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

i have some altec lansing speakers, and they're absolutely amazing. i think they even sound better than the boston's i heard. they're around $150.

9. brooklynipod thread starter macrumors newbie

e-coli:

which model ? and what type of music are you cranking? just so i have a basis of comparison...

thanks

10. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If your component stereo system is small enough and decent enough (e.g. you spent significantly more than $200 on it, and it's not Bose or something like that) then I would recommend hauling it over next to your iMac and connecting your iMac's line out to your stereo's line in. Doing that will give you higher quality audio than any computer speaker system.

11. DeKa macrumors member

How do you guys connect your new speakers? USB?

I've just pulled the Apple Pro speaker plug out of the back of my iMac and I can see that it's a 4 contact mini-jack plug (makes sense, 2 channels, + and - ) but how do you plug the iMac into a stereo system? Do you use the Headphones out socket?

Derek.

12. Rags macrumors member

You use a Y cable (I think that's what it's called) and plug it into your stereo out of your computer into the auxiliary line-in RCA jacks of your reciever or preamp. If I recall correctly, provided you get a good cable you still keep the left and right channels without distortion. It's like an adapter, and you can find one for $5 - $10 at Radioshack or anyother electronics store...

13. brooklynipod thread starter macrumors newbie

Pro speaker breakout adapter?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/cables_accessories/prospeaker_breakout.html

Does anyone have any experience with this product? It claims that with it, you can connect any set of home stereo speakers into the Apple Pro Speakers jack. The speakers are then powered by the computer.

I don't know much about sound quality, so forgive me for my ignorance, but would such a connection degrade the audio quality coming from, say, a decent set of home audio speakers? Or in your opinion, would this option be better than purchasing a good set of multimedia speakers?

Thanks again...

14. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've got a pair of Altec Lansing AVS500's. they're loud they've got good bass, but i haven't ever had any other speakers, so i don't know how they compare to others...:rolleyes:

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I would check out www.reviews.cnet.com , they might have a top 10 quality speakers. Just type in speakers.

17. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Logitech, Z-560's

Definitly the Logitech z-560's. You can buy them from Apple. They rock and have very good bass. I need a sound card though.

18. DeKa macrumors member

brooklynipod,

I just had a look around that site you gave us. Maybe this is more what we need? http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.html

It provides stereo input and outputs via USB. You then use a Y-adapter (3.5mm stereo jack - 2 x RCA and you can plug into your stereo.

The iMac's 18W internal amplifier wouldn't power much more than the pro speakers i'd imagine!

Derek.

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

Just remove the triple w's + dot, and you should be fine. :)

http://hardware.search.com/search?q=Speakers&tag=srch

However, I couldn't find anything for Cambridge. Possibly Cnet decided not to spend the money to pay to test Cambridge out.

20. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Maybe i'm the only one but i think the Harman/Kardon soundsticks are great. They sound great and they look great too. they are a bit pricey at $200 retail. I got mine on E-bay for about 120. So if you shop around you can definately get a deal on them. Think they are worth it and they'd fit right in style-wise with the imac.

21. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I think they're just called sound cubes...although i do seem to rember a few numbers in the name...regardless, you can find them at any CompUSA. They have several makes. I know mine are the middle of the road offering from Altec Lansing.

I listen to just about everything. From blues and jazz, to heavy metal. Never had a single complaint. The bass is wonderful, and the frequency response is as good as any computer speaker I've ever heard. They're not as pretty as sound sticks, but they sound better, and they're cleaner at higher volumes. Great speakers. Check them out, if you don't like them, return them.

All the reviews for Altec Lansing speakers on c|net are between 8 and 10 stars...even the sub-$100 models.