need recommendations for DSL hardware

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by boz2004, Jun 14, 2004.

1. boz2004 macrumors member

My wife and I are moving soon and will be getting DSL. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for routers, firewalls, or any other things I should consider for security.

We'll be running on a beige G3 (just replaced my problematic one) desktop, 266 MHz, running OS 9.1...

2. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I use a DG834G wireless router from netgear. It was so easy to set up. no installation disk, i just plugged it in and typed an ip address into a web browser and input the username nd password of the isp i use, and i was online. i've also used a DG834, which is the same router but without wireless capabilties. Both routers come with a firewall.

Hope that helps, bottom line they were very very simple to set up and trouble free. and ive found netgears customer support to be excellent, so long as you have a little patience.

jay

3. chv400 macrumors 6502

I have 2wire dsl router in my house it also has wirless capability but since we dont have and computers with airport we are using a netgear switch.

If you want to go wireless you can get this from sonnet
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/aria_pci.html

I'm not sure if it works under OS 9 though

4. ipodrocker macrumors member

ipodrocker

Get the netgear DG834G

I have the netgear dg834g and its wonderful it supports over 100 users and you can hard wire 4 computers into the router. has built in firewall, its wireless so its dead handy if you have a pb with airport extreme.

GET IT NOW!

5. boz2004 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info... sounds like Netgear is the router of choice

I think my phone company (SBC) is giving us some POS router when we get moved in and hooked up, so I'd feel better with something I know will be a little more secure...

(hey, if anyone knows what sort of DSL ROuter I'm liable to be handed feel free to let me know--I'm all for googling specs...hehheh)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're not *paying* SBC for an extra home networking service are you? I would recommend against it -- if you're getting a router of your own anyway, then you do not need any HW beyond the DSL modem.

FWIW the DSL modem I got from them a year ago was a SpeedStream 5100. It was *not* a multi-port unit (it did not have an integrated switch).

7. boz2004 thread starter macrumors member

not positive, as my wife placed the order with them, but apparently they're providing something to allow the conntection...

my thought, though, is that whatever they're providing will be the lowest common denominator and I'll eventually need/want to get something more secure... hence the question about a good router/firewall solution... I figure it'll be a bit before I can get one (the move has been more than I'd projected)