Need Scanner buying advice!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nospleen, Jun 3, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello, I am in the market for a new scanner. I need to scan around 500 pictures a day, up to 8x10 in size. I need something that autocrops and that has a loading tray. I need to know what you guys/gals would recommend. Also, do they have any that autosaves to a folder of my choosing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As far as pricing, I am looking to spend 500-1000 max. Thanks!

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Wow, I think that your asking for a lot from a cheep piece of equipment. Autofeeder and 500 photos a day, thats nearly 183k photos a year. I don't think an inexpensive consumer scanner will hold up to that kind of abuse. I think your looking at starting around 2.5-3k for that kind of use. Don't forget you will also need space, and a lot of it, if you plan to save the files native.

Try here
    http://techdepot.officedepot.com/category.asp?CatID=182&iid=194?AffID=11334

Find something that is simular to what you need and then look for an OSX compatible version. Then cruse eBay and see if you can pick one up at the price you afford.

We have used a networked Minolta copyer/scanner/printer for batched OCR. It saved the scans to a directory on a web based NAS. The Mac then processes, thins, resaves and then reads the documents off.

With my Mac, I was happy with a UMAX and Canon, though the Canon is slow. Nether one has a feeder or auto save.

(Well its a start. I'm sure some of the designers can help)

3. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Remember, cheap to one might be expensive to another!:D I do not need one that is super fast or anything like that. I just would like the feeder and the files to import to a folder of my choosing. I am probably being unrealistic, but thats why I posted the question. Anyone else?

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I meant cheap in quality (plastics and drive mechnisims), not inexpensive.
    What exactly do you want to be able to do?
    What resolution and file format are you hoping for?
    What features are musts and what features would be nice bonuses?

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

6. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

It is not available anymore. I am able to do a search and find numerous scanners that will fit what I want to do. I am just trying to get recommendations from people who own them or have used them. So if you are implying that I need to do a search on the web for scanners, I have already. I just want recommendations.

7. photohead macrumors member

I second this....I was just going to suggest it also...or...you can get the perfection 1680, and buy the auto sheet feeder for it...scanner is 800 and feeder is 500 but It is definatly worth it...I have the 1680 and its fast and very sharp edge to edge no sweet spot....check it out on the epson site.

N

8. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Here is what I am looking to do. I just want to import pictures that are already printed, and not lose too much quality. I want it to look nice on a dvd slideshow. Do you have a recommendation on dpi? It would be great if it scanned negatives, but not essential. I do want something solidly built, but I will buy an extended warranty, so it is not a huge selling point.

9. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Ignore my stupidity here for a sec.:D If I buy the feeder, I can scan in lets say 50 photos, (or whatever the tray holds), then do I need to go in and save each photo? Or can I say, save all to my users/brandon/pictures?
    Thanks for the help, I am getting ready to check their website again!

10. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am using the EPSON twain drivers with my Perfection 1660 and you can specify a default scan dump location, or in my case, it scans into Photoshop... I did not mean to ssound like a smart @ss with my previous post, sorry about that - if it's no longer available at any of the online retailers, maybe ebay has it.
    PCConnection still has it in stock - Link

11. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

No problem!:) I really appreciate your help. I am by no means a pro at computers, so along the way I kind of expect to annoy some people.:D

12. photohead macrumors member

Don't feel stupid....Yes you can save to a specific place....for me...I have scanning software called silverfast 6.0 and you can tell it which folder to place the saved files....you name the file...eg. File01 and it will name the consecutive files File02, File03 ...etc...I think <I'm not sure> the epson software has it built in...compatibility with OS X and the trans adapter is questionable...

N

13. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

For the longest time the Epson TWAIN drivers were questionable at best (alpha for OSX). But now they have the final, 5.75 out, and it works smooth, although a bit awkward. I was used to LinoTypeHELL and silverfast, and EPSON's interface is a bit, uhh, Windowsy?

14. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I think I am going to get the Epson. So far it seems to be what fits my needs and budget. Thanks again for everyones help!

15. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

16. photohead macrumors member

NOt a bad deal at all...one thing to remember....depending on what you are scanning....there is a thickness maximum...and if there is a jam...it will mess up your work flow...something to think about....good luck..
    n:)

17. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

low-end scanners

Hey... as long as were on the subject, I've been thinking about getting a scanner, but have no idea what to look out for. E.g., why are some scanners $200 and others $2,000? Are the colors that much more accurate or is the resolution that much better? Is it about speed?

I'd like to get a scanner, but I wouldn't want to pay more than a few hundred dollars for it. And this is for occasional home use, not a business that thrives on millions of scans. So speed is not an issue (altho I'd prefer a firewire interface).

18. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I assume regular photos from photo albums will flow just fine, right?

19. photohead macrumors member

Re: low-end scanners

A couple of things justify the price differences of scanner prices...ie. Features, size, resolution, interface, color, software, etc. there are better technologies that are making consumer scanners cheeper and cheeper. What I sugest for you is...Epson 3200 Very reasonable price, good resolution, tras adapter, compatible with great third party scanning software, or if thats too expensive there is a great scanner by cannon...30 ide?? or 40 ide...super thin very decent res. usb conection...not blazing but fast enough...the epson is a firewire connection like you wanted so that might be a better choice....from a photographers stand point the epson is a good economical consumer solution...as a consumer the canon is so flat and takes up so little space and its light...that the coolness factor and value factor out weighs the epson scanner....<$80 canon> <400 epson> it all depends on what you need to use if for ....give me more info and I can help you better....
    N :)

20. photohead macrumors member

depends on how thick....my friend has the trans adapter for the 1680 and he says that normal 4x6 photos if not aligned correctly they jam....probably not enough of an issue not to buy it...but I think he said anything more then the thickness of card stock is pushing it..
    N

21. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Hey Photohead,

Thanks! That was more than I expected in terms of information. I will check those models out. (There's also a scanner review in the March or April issue of Macworld that I need to check out.)

Thanks again.

22. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I have a simple consumer Epson 1660 Photo and love it! compared to other USB 1 scanners it is fast and I get nice, accurate colors, not the oversaturated, blurry stuff typical from low to midgrade scanners. would recommend it *****! And works with OSX even without the supplied software, just plug-n-play (albeit very limted funstionality).