Need Serious Buying Advice from the Pros

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SavageLLama77, Feb 13, 2007.

1. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

Hey Everybody,
    I have an iMac G5 and I'm looking to buy a new computer. My birthday is coming up (still in high school), around the time that Leopard comes out. I want to wait until then cause that's probably when the new computers will come out and then I can get Leopard pre-installed. So, what I really want is a laptop while also having a huge screen on my desk. Of course I'll have to get speakers, and a wireless mouse and keyboard. But let's focus on the computer/display. I guess I was fine in buying a MacBook, but they can't power 30 inch ACD's, which I am in love with after seeing at the apple store. So I was thinking to get a cheap Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro that I could hook up to a 30 inch ACD. But I really don't want to be stuck with an already old computer for 3 years (when I'll go to college and get a new computer). So I ask, what is your awesome buying advice that could save me the most money. Thanks!

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You could skip the ACD and save money with a Dell 30" or 27" LCD monitor. Buy the best monitor you can afford since they hold their value better than laptops. I would purchase a laptop around your display, so likely the MBP is your only bet. Spring for one the moment Apple releases updated MBPs. :)

4. felipson macrumors member

have you tried www.buezit.com?

have you tried www.buezit.com? It's a pretty cool website where users post what they are looking for. So if you want something or if you need something just post it up at www.buezit.com whatever it is that you are looking for and then let somebody who has it sell it to you. cool site, cool concept. www.buezit.com

5. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

Since I'm only in High School, I plan to use it for just plain web surfing, running multiple apps at the same time (safari, ichat, iwork, mail), running lots of videos, dowloading lots of videos, watching cable tv (i have EyeTV), and playing Xbox 360 on it. It almost counts as a new Television! But yeah, no professional apps. Would you also know whether or not I can run an Xbox 360 with high definition on the 30 inch? Thanks, keep the great respones coming people!

I honestly was looking at the Dell 30 inch, but I heard it is a bit less quality in some areas, and, looking a cnet.com article, saw that they thought the 30 inch ACD was better overall. Thanks for the reply I am excited for a new MBP in the Spring. ( and , just to clarify, buying a new updated MBP in the Spring would be the best thing to do right? I hope the're not coming out with ones that have a brand new intel chip just a few months after?) Anyway, thanks!

6. ahriman macrumors member

ahriman

anyone know when updated MBPs will be released? and what the upgrades will be?

7. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

macbook pro mid range and 23" ACD or 30" Dell :p

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The ACDs do not take analog signals without some expensive stuff. Your best bet would be to get a Dell 24". I run my 360 on a 20" through VGA and it looks great.

To be honest with you, a MBP sounds like overkill for what you plan to do. If you plan on having a display to connect it to at home I don't see the sense in getting a 15" notebook. To each their own though.

9. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

You'd probably be safe with a C2D MBP or MB. There will undoubtedly be revised versions released in the next few years, but the updates will likely be minor for at least the next year or so.

Any of Apple's current lineup are fast and modern machines, except perhaps the mini - I wouldn't recommend that.

If portability wasn't essential you might look at the 24" iMacs. That way you get a good computer and huge (not 30", though) monitor.

10. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking the same thing about the overkill, but a new MacBook Pro would make me happy and glad for the next few years (it would be very powerful and I wouldn't want to get a new laptop probably), on the other hand its the only option i have for a 30 inch display. Also, If I get a new MBP with a 30 inch, screen, what would I need to be able to hook up my 360 in High Definition? Thanks!

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

At this point it is a $350 box. It is shipping now, but that adds to the cost of the ACD. http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4173#buy

Go with a 30" Dell, that way you get the VGA connection for the 360, which is superior to the component anyway.

Honestly I know you love the 30" but for what you are doing it is really overkill. I don't mean to tell you what not to buy, but I mean 30" for web surfing and watching videos is a bit much. Especially an ACD at that price.

If you are paying for this yourself, step back and think about what you are proposing to spend. At least what, $4000? When you could spend half that and get the same amount of utility from it.

If your parents are paying, be a little more reasonable with their money.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

Astounding what people will pay for entertainment. A MBP and 30" ACD??? The cost of that Apple equipment would pay for a movie ticket 7 days a week for years

If you wanted to be cost effective ANY low-end computer will do just fine. A refurb macbook or mini (even a G4 mini) plugged into an LCD TV set's hdmi input would be perfect. The MB can drive a 780P TV.

13. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

It can drive a 1080P TV as well.

14. seany916 macrumors 6502

cheap MB w/ a 23" Apple or 24" Dell monitor

look for refurbs & 20% off deals at Dell.

We have 20" Dell, 23" & 30" Apple monitors and I really don't care about the differences between using them unless I'm editing video or photos. Then the real estate of the 30 is needed (too many small windows). If you're running programs that don't have multiple windows and palettes, just get a 24" or 23" with a cheap MB & add RAM.

For most things, the 20 is fine. Not even bad, it's fine (using 20 now).

For the money, 24" is probably the sweet spot right now. Apple might be updating monitors in the not so near future. Don't buy a MBP unless you've got money to burn. It's also too big to be a good portable.

If you NEED the screen space, you'll just hook it up to a 23+.

15. SavageLLama77 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you think of the idea of getting a sweet display to last through the years and getting a cheap laptop to upgrade from time to time?

16. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Well it seems that it won't be too hard to get the funds to buy what you want for your birthday. I'm sure that for your uses you wouldn't notice the difference between a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo macbook pro. I'd go for a refurbished model and then pick up a 30 inch or 24 inch Dell. That way you can hook up your Xbox 360 and record something on eyetv while you play games. You wouldn't be able to do that on an ACD (though they're gorgeous). If your parents can pay for the higher priced items, do it. Honestly, you don't need the latest and greatest for what you need. You just need RAM to do the multitasking you want and a bigger hard drive for all your files.

Have fun with your new setup. If you have any specific questions make sure to PM me and I'll give you some advice.