Need solution for 1 monitor with Mac and PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by yadmonkey, Sep 7, 2004.

1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Hi - I have a Mac and a PC that need to share a monitor. Problem is, when I introduce my cheap monitor switch box, the MDD Powermac ghosts horribly. In fact, my Mac ghosts horribly without the box if I use a monitor extension cable, even a really expensive one. I already use a DVI->VGA adapter and it seems that any additional level of separation causes ghosting.

So, can anyone recommend a solution? Is there a well made monitor switch box which won't degrade the signal? Is there a way to boost the signal to stop the ghosting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Powermac dual 1ghz MDD, 10.3.5, ATI Radeon 9000, Hitachi VGA monitor.

2. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Belkin makes pretty good KVMs, I use them at work all day long and don't notice any ghosting. I actually just purchased a DVI model to do a similar application, I have a 17" Apple Studio Display, 17" PowerBook and my Linux box. I wanted to de-geek my house a little, so I decided to condense things.

3. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

4. The Past macrumors 6502

Ditto! I have a Belkin and you switch source using your keyboard. The display is a Dell 17" and the Mac is a PB. Works flawlessly.

5. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

One more question... in researching various KVMs, some have complained about losing functionality on their KB or M. Specifically, stuff like volume control may have stopped working. Have either of you experienced that?

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I use one from IOGear that is supposed to give you full keyboard functionality. I haven't tried it because my Mac is older and didn't have those keys, but the PC keyboard I am using now is may give me that function with this switch I will have to try it out.