Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustang52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
I'm a long time pc user looking to buy an iMac. I plan on going with a 27" 5k retina refurb. I think a 2 tb fusion sounds like a good option to go with along with 8gb memory to start. What I'm stuck on is wether or not to go with i5 or i7 processor and graphics card. I plan on using it for productivity and running windows in parallels. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I'm a long time pc user looking to buy an iMac. I plan on going with a 27" 5k retina refurb. I think a 2 tb fusion sounds like a good option to go with along with 8gb memory to start. What I'm stuck on is wether or not to go with i5 or i7 processor and graphics card. I plan on using it for productivity and running windows in parallels. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Would you consider waiting for the 2016 model or not? It will bring noticeably improved graphics and faster RAM which should help Windows run smoother in Parallels.
If not then it would be good to go with the 2TB Fusion Drive and it may be a good idea to upgrade the RAM to 16GB after you buy it. I'm not sure about the processor but the i7 has hyperthreading while the i5 does not which may be something that is relevant to you. It is best to go with a 390 or above as I believe lower cards may cause graphical slowdowns due to having to run the 5K display.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I plan on using it for productivity and running windows in parallels
An i7 really helps when running VMs, so I'd say go with that.

Also as mentioned above, we're expecting an update this fall (October), so if can wait, that will certainly be beneficial

mustang52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Here's the dilemma. While I could wait it out a bit longer I went and applied for the barclaycard not knowing I only had 30 days to use the no interest financing so now I'm kinda stuck having to make a decision soon I'm afraid. Also I'm kinda trying to stay around that 2k budget.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No worries, the current crop of machines are excellent, and October is still a ways off.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Thanks for the help guys. I'm kinda excited to start a new chapter in owning a Mac for the first time.

You should consider the Apple refurbished store. You can save $350 on the top stock model. It will look just like new with the same warranty. I have purchased a few times from them, as many other members too.

mustang52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
You should consider the Apple refurbished store. You can save $350 on the top stock model. It will look just like new with the same warranty. I have purchased a few times from them, as many other members too.

That's what I plan on doing. Although I heard you can buy through the education store online and get a discount but I don't see any difference in price.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 5.29.02 PM.png
These are available today, I have the top one then added 32 GB of ram for $178. Both good choices though.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
That's the one I have my mind set on. Is it plenty fast for most uses?
It is for me. I do about 4 to 8 family videos a year, CAD viewing for models, internet stuff, family picture stuff. I am coming from a 2007 iMac that was getting a lot of beach balls. This thing is a monster compared to that, as it should be. I was spending all my time on the iPad Pro and now I get this new iMac it feels like the iPad got slower lol... I expect to get over 6 years like I did the last one.

corrin.lakeland

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
If it was me I'd definitely recommend the 32 GB over the 8GB one. Parallels has to run Windows and macOS at the same time which doesn't leave a lot of room for running applications on 8GB. I think what you'd end up with is one OS being moved to swap whenever you start actively using the other one.

Reactions: phrehdd

mustang52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
If it was me I'd definitely recommend the 32 GB over the 8GB one. Parallels has to run Windows and macOS at the same time which doesn't leave a lot of room for running applications on 8GB. I think what you'd end up with is one OS being moved to swap whenever you start actively using the other one.

I'm definitely upgrading the memory but I'd rather do it myself.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
You might consider upgrading the HDD/SSD yourself.

SSD are relatively cheap now. For example, 960GB SSD was on sale for $165 last week.

The upgrade would take about an hour of your time.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
With Kaby Lake CPUs now started deliveries to computer makers, lets hop that Apple will put Kaby Lake CPUs that do USB-3.1 Gen 2 and TB3 all via USB-C ports.....into the 2016 iMacs. I would not be purchasing an iMac until I hear about the new models.....and what closeout deals there will be on 2015 models.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
With Kaby Lake CPUs now started deliveries to computer makers, lets hop that Apple will put Kaby Lake CPUs that do USB-3.1 Gen 2 and TB3 all via USB-C ports.....into the 2016 iMacs. I would not be purchasing an iMac until I hear about the new models.....and what closeout deals there will be on 2015 models.
Intel Begins Shipping First Kaby Lake Processors, but Most Macs Won't Get Them Until 2017, it could be a while in 2017 before the iMac see's this processor.

Reactions: phrehdd

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
With Kaby Lake CPUs now started deliveries to computer makers, lets hop that Apple will put Kaby Lake CPUs that do USB-3.1 Gen 2 and TB3 all via USB-C ports.....into the 2016 iMacs.
It still will be quite a while before Kaby Lake will make its way onto the desktop. From what I've read, they are only shipping the m flavors, and it will be 2017 for the desktop and faster mobile chipsets.

mustang52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015

While I do like latest and greatest but then they will be out of my price and I won't be able to take advantage of the zero financing.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
It still will be quite a while before Kaby Lake will make its way onto the desktop. From what I've read, they are only shipping the m flavors, and it will be 2017 for the desktop and faster mobile chipsets.

I agree. I checked the roadmap and does seem to be end of the year before desktop CPUs will ship. So it could easily be spring before there are Kaby Lake based iMacs with USB 3.1 Gen 2, TB3, and DDR-4. I can hold off purchasing until then.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
On an iMac (or any laptop) specifically I would not base a buying decision off Kaby Lake.

Moving stuff off the logic board and onto the processor will have little noticeable effect and support for devices you can never upgrade too is pointless.

I'm sure their are people that can and will benefit from Kaby Lake vs Skylake especially on PC's but you'll be hard pressed to find a Mac owner that has that "need" or can even tell a difference.

However if someone wants the latest and greatest or that incremental speed and efficiency boost then more power too you. I'm not discounting that at all.

If you are waiting to buy due to CPU's then wait for Zen and see what it offers and does to the market as a whole. That is something I'm looking forward too.

mustang52

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Ok so I'm ordering the 27 5k refurb with 8gb of ram. Where would be a good place to order ram and what kind, how much, should I get.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Ok so I'm ordering the 27 5k refurb with 8gb of ram. Where would be a good place to order ram and what kind, how much, should I get.
I ordered mine from macsales.com. $98 for 2 sticks of 8GB each. You can add those two to combine for 24GB. Your iMac will come with 2 4GB sticks and 2 empty slots. Just pick your model on the website 17,1 and it will show you the right ram 1867 MHz.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you are waiting to buy due to CPU's then wait for Zen and see what it offers and does to the market as a whole. That is something I'm looking forward too.

What does Zen CPUs have to do with Intel-based iMacs? Are you thinking Apple will abandon Intel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.