Need some Advice on Status Indicator

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by pilotError, Jun 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2006
    Long Island
    I'm working on an Open Source project to interface to a battery charger.

This particular charger only comes with Windows Software, and that's just not right...

Either way, I've reverse engineered a large part of the communications protocol and have a basic front end up and running.

I wanted to get fancy with it, but I have two issues. I'm not a front end developer by any means. I don't have a lot of coding time on Mac / Xcode and the various libraries.

Given that, I have two things I would like to accomplish.

I want to create a Battery Charge Indicator, similar to what the iPhone has when it's plugged in. That giant green battery, not the one on the status bar. I don't even know how to begin / what API's to use; create a set of jpg's and display them?, core graphics? Any good tutorials for this type of thing? It's asking a lot, I know...

The second issue is I want to create real time graphs of various variables. Anyone recommend a good open source charting library?
  2. macrumors 68000

Aug 17, 2009
    For the charge display, you want NSLevelIndicator, which produces a green image just like Apple's battery display (which you would have to embed in a battery graphic).

Seems to me that NSBezierPath would handle most of the grunt work you would need for graphing. You might define a class that contains a path object and a color that updates and draws itself in its view. Bear in mind, though, that the view for paths should be flipped so that its Y value increases visibly upward instead of downward.