Need some advice on what to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by storage, Aug 7, 2005.

1. storage macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2005
    Hello! :)

First of all, sorry for posting YET another one of these threads, but I have a really hard time chosing.

I'm going to use the computer for programming (graphics-related programming, but nothing really heavy), some games like Nexuiz, RTCW: Enemy Territory and World of Warcraft (I don't mind running any of them on lower settings), watching movies, listening to music, surfing and other normal stuff. Portability is a big plus.

I've finally got the cash to buy one on of the machines below:

Alternative 1:
    17" iMac G5
    Apple Wireless Mouse
    4GB iPod Mini (student discount)

Alternative 2:
    12" iBook G4 + 60GB BTO
    512MB extra RAM
    Apple Keyboard (wired)
    Apple Wireless Mouse

The stuff I currently have for the computer is a 17" TFT monitor, a 120GB external harddrive, an external DVD-burner and 2.1 Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers.

I also have an Athlon64, 1024MB RAM, GF6800 PC to do heavier gaming on, until I can get it sold (I need the money, so I can't keep it).

Thanks in advance and sorry for posting another one of these!
  2. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Haven't you answered your own question then? Get the notebook.
  3. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd go for the iBook. Don't buy extra RAM from Apple!
  4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    Get the G5 instead of G4...that's wht i recomend.
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If portability is a big plus, I'd like to point out that the iMac is not nearly as portable as an iBook.

Also, why are these your choices? They're not even the same price. You could get a PB for the price of the iMac + Mini, no?

And a wireless mouse for the iMac is a bit overboard. I don't see a benefit of being wireless on a desktop, but I guess you can be wireless and replace that battery every few weeks just to say that you work without wires.
  6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    Well I love my iBook, and if you're after portability, an iMac is just not the way to go.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Agreed- normally, I would say go for the G5, but if you want portability, you need the iBook.