Need some advice on when to buy my Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Laddie, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Laddie macrumors newbie

    Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I've decided to buy a new 15" Powerbook (superdrive). I was waiting to see if there *might* be a price reduction or updates at MWSF. (even though the rumours all said "no new cpus at MWSF :) )
    Now that the expo keynote has come and gone, I am second guessing myself again... "what if there are updates in a few weeks, similar to last year?"

    My question to you all is this.

    Should I buy now, or wait a few weeks?
    Just looking for friendly advice and wondering if any of you can look into your crystal balls to find the answer.

    (note - i'm probably waiting till about the 16th anyway, to at least take advantage of the new iLife apps.)
  2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a


    Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Go for it on the 16th. You're prolly safe to place your order a day or two before that. There's always an upgrade or price drop right around the corner, and if you always wait for the next one...
    bah.. we've all heard that before.

    When I bought mine (three weeks ago) I knew that the keynote was happening soon, but I had the money and was waiting for this for months. All I missed out on was iLife '04 (which I ordered for $30 yesterday). In that time however, I made two videos, did my school's yearbook cover in Photoshop, and learned illustrator. This isn't counting all the homework I did, and hours of web-surfing and folding. All of these things had to be done in that time peroid, and I saved myself a lot of time and effort being able to do it all whenever, wherever I want. I have no regrets, and you won't either.
  3. Trapple macrumors newbie

    Jan 7, 2004
    Sacramento, California
    Power book Purchase

    Hey Laddie,

    I know exactly how you feel about not knowing if something bigger and better is going to come out right after you purchase.

    I will add that Apple is pretty good at letting people who just purchased an item to upgrade to the new version within a certain timeframe. For example those people who purchased a 17 inch imac within like 30 days of the new 20 inch imac had an opportunity to upgrade.

    Personally working for Apple I have not heard of any upgrades in the immediate pipeline since these new powerbooks have not been out very long.
  4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus


    Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA

    Advertising on the forums is stritcly forbidden.
  5. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

    Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh come on, the guy is working for Apple, which is the one company this entire BB circles around so its hardly "advertising" in the form that rule was made is it?

    If the guy is genuine (completely seperate point) then I'd of thought the comments are a welcome insight into the company we are so keen on second guessing.

  6. Laddie thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Thanks Kingsnapped,

    You're right - I could second guess myself until the G6 iPDA comes home. ;)
    I'll probably do just as you suggested. Buy it around the 16th.

    Regarding the Trapple post.
    Does anyone know what he was talking about?
    I know that Apple sometimes offers upgrades of software if you purchased an older version in the recent past, but do they ever offer that for hardware? If so, I was unaware.

  7. diggy macrumors newbie

    Jan 6, 2004
    nyc ny
    now PB's and upgrades

    they gove you like 7 days....don;t know exactly but it is not a large window to trade up if you buy something that is outdated in short order.

    I need a PB bad ,
    hoping prices go down
    or I'm sunk.

    I will wait with a *worm in my mouth till mid jan

    *worm in mouth=baited breath

Share This Page