Need some advice...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ifeelbloated, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've been visiting this website regularly and I must say that I've come to respect your opinions. All the regulars are very knowledgeable. This is one of the best forums on the web. Anyway, I've become very tired of the region of the country that I'm living in right now and want to move. I'm thinking about either Austin, Texas or Seattle, Washington. I've been to Austin and it's a great town but it's been a while since I've been back and I don't know the current economic situation there. I've never been to Seattle but everyone says that's it's one of the coolest cities in the country, besides it's SEATTLE!
    If any of you guys could give me any feedback I'd greatly appreciate it. Peace.:)

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

depends on what u want to do most likely...

I don't know personally, but I've heard Austin is a good place to work.

Seattle rains all the time...again just from what I know...but I'm sure I'll get backup on this one.

What do u want to do professionally? Do u have a career already going or will u be starting over completely? School?

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Need some advice...

Well, there are a couple of questions. Where do you live now? State will be fine, and what are your job skills, education, etc. I have been all over so I can try my best. Also, age / family going with you.

4. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hmmmmm...........

Personally I'd take Seattle in a heartbeat.

I'm from the Pacific North West (north of Vancouver BC) and it's beautiful up there. You do have to be a bit mould resistant though.;) If you're thinking of Seattle, think about Vancouver. Vancouver is sunnier due to geography and the roads aren't as ****ed up. Definitely visit Vancouver first...... the difference in attitude north of the border is like a cool sea breeze on a hot day.:D

5. Ifeelbloated thread starter macrumors regular

I have a A.S. degree in Graphic Arts. I know Photoshop, Illustrator, Director, I own Final Cut Pro 3 and After Effects. I want to concentrate on 3D design and graphics though. I own Lightwave 7.5 and Maya PLE. I think I might get some more schooling though to get better with the other 3D graphics programs out there. I live in Connecticut and, well, it's tiresome. It's very hard here, if you're not in sales, insurance, or manufacturing, it's a struggle.
    I know when you apply for a job in 3D graphics your demo reel will get you to the interview. I'm trying hard to make a good one. If I move out there I'd be on my own. I know it'd be tough but I've got a good chunk-of-change saved up and I think I'm ready for a big change in my life.
    I'm in my twenties. Still got some more miles on me left.:)

6. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

From my experience, people from Seattle often never want to leave, and often return if they do leave. Conversely, people who move there may not be as enamored with the area as the natives. I mean, its nice country and all, but its very rainy and dreary, too.

I've heard very good things about Austin. The area works very hard to attract artists and musicians, which creates a great culture and diverse population. Plus, there are a lot of tech jobs there. (Or were, during the tech heyday. Though I can't imagine all of the jobs just drying up...its probably just more competitive than it was.)

But there are plenty of other great places to go in this country. San Fransisco, New York, Boston...etc, etc.

Then there is my favorite American city. Chicago!!! Its really a lot nicer and more cultured than many would suspect. It grew quite a bad reputation during '65 to '85 when nearly all of the industry jobs had dried up and no-one had any place to go or prospects. But all that is well behind the city, and lifes pretty good here. Great transportation. Great nightlife. Tons of art, music, comedy, events, festivals, sports. Plus its not as overcrowded as New York and isn't as pricey as San Fran or NY.

I highly recommend Chicago if you're planning on living in a city. I love it here.

I'm off to catch a movie at the Brew and View. Watching a movie. Drinking a beer. Can life get better?? Gotta love Chicago.

Taft

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Don't overlook Birmingham Alabama. Great place, very clean. AWESOME job opportunities there. Close to Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans, the beach, everything really. That is where I would go. Also, Lafayette Louisiana.

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thier always hiring graphic artists in austin. for hella sure... i know i live 4 hours from there and go there on occasion. good chance you could get a 10 dollar an hour job that pays the bills and some but not good if you have a family. a higher paying job you can get if you know the ropes there. i dont know the cost of living in seatle but austins isnt cheap. so compare the cost of lving or what not..i guess. but yeah... austin has a hellofalot of musiciains and artistis. i swear everythime im there i see some college age kids outside of thier pad filming a video. its a trip. EVERYTIME. Austin is a really cool beatnick place to be. i plan on living there in the future.

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i've spent a lot of time in austin and probably a few months total in seattle and i think i'll have to say i like austin better. granted it gets hot as all hell there in the summer but theres tons to do, the coast isn't too far away, theres lakes all over town, bike paths to everything, great music of every style, amazing food( BBQ to vegetarian...), beautiful women and the people are amazingly friendly.

i don't know about the present job market there( or seattle for that matter) so you might do a little searching on the austin town website.

the winters are mild, the spring is beautiful( the storms are a humbling experience), summer like i said is hot and the fall is great. austins grown considerably and you see far more range rovers than vw busses these days..but it still has a lot of its old hippie vibe still happening. theres always been a major creative community there and the SXSW convention has grown into a major music and visual happening.

all this talk makes me want to pack a truck and take the family that way....:D

seatle is nice and the pacific northwest is beautiful but it just didn't strike a chord with me.

either way, you can't go wrong. good luck.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I've never been to Austin so I can't comment on there........

But Seattle is an amazing city...... it's also certainly one of the most beautiful in the world....... I think the reason that I loved it so much is that it definitely has a European sophistication going down....... and the city itself is extremely chilled...... :) actually the weather is very much like what we get in London (wet even in August) so I guess that made me feel more at home aswell...... :p It also has some blinding bars and clubs something that as a young urbanite in London I really appreciate as very few cities can match Londons nightlife.... (New York included....) and Seattle seems to have a solid range of decent bars........

Also you have some amazing countryside around Seattle and Vancouver is only a short drive or ferry trip away........ although as Mischief suggested check out Vancouver....... as it really is an amazing city.......

Ultimately I love London... and believe it IS the Greatest city in the world...... bar none...... but Seattle is certainly a city that I would consider leaving London for...... :) You should make time to visit the pacific northwest to gauge exactly what the area is like.... and I swear you really won't be disapointed!!! ;)

11. sturm375 macrumors 6502

I have to second that. I have visited all over, and I have found nowhere else where people in general are friendlier(speaking in terms of large cities). Also, I am not an expert in this but, Chicago is one of the world's leading advertising capitals, I am sure your art skills will find a good home here.

GO CUBS!:D

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Yeah, I know a lot of people in graphic arts here. When you ride the el through the city, you often see Macs in the windows of the buildings close to the el. I'd imagine that these are for graphic arts (since most businesses don't get Macs for much else:().

Oh, I also agree with you on one other thing...

GO CUBS!!!:D

Taft

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i would move to austin, but then again i am from texas. if you do indeed move there just be prepared for the transition. texas is unlike any other state. it just is.