Need some buying advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dynamyk, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Ok it's a flip up between a Dell or an Apple. Now I'm concerned a lot of my programs will not work on the Apple, is the support of PC programs really as bad as people make it out to be?

Also I'm mostly using it for word processing, excel, simply accounting and stuff. Also obviously lots of internet browsing and music. But I wouldn't mind the occasional game. Such as Warcraft 3. This is going to be my main computer because I don't want to bring my big desktop to my apartment cause I won't do anything but gaming :S

The 30 GB Hard-drive is worrying me as I don't know how much music I will be able to hold on it

Lastly, how's the support from Apple?

Basically to sum up the post, why should I buy an Apple?

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think it would be helpful if you told us which models (and the specs) of each computer. With only knowing that it's a Dell vs. a Mac, I don't know that there's a whole lot that can be said.

Why buy a Mac? I love mine because of OS X. It rocks. It just works, without much supervision. No need to scan for viruses or worry about what you're downloading or where you're surfing. No need to run all of the maintenance tasks associated with Windows. You spend more time at your computer doing productive and fun things.

The support from Apple, however, I would say is okay at best. You'll have a lot of people tell you that their support stinks and others who will tell you doesn't. I'd say it's "less than average" and certainly less than I'd expect from a company who makes one of my favorite consumer goods.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Also note that your PC versions of Word, Excel, etc., won't work with OS X out of the box. You will need to buy Mac versions or run Virtual PC.

4. Dynamyk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

It will be the 12' Ibook 1.2-1.3 GHz one. The lowest model :p

For Dell it would be the 700m.

My cousin works @ Microsoft so he may be able to get me the Office for cheap

5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

The truth is the 700m will be more bang for your buck hardware wise. If you think you don't want to take the plunge, don't. You can always wait until OS X has better compatibility when the mactel switch comes around. It is rumored that games will practically need no real modifications to compile and run on OS X. If you aren't dying to ditch the Wintel world, go ahead and hold off. It does cost a lot to change over and Apple will still be here when you are ready.

6. Dynamyk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Thanks.

Great reply. The only thing is, in Canada, the 700m is going to cost me 500 dollars more because we don't get the coupons.

7. ScottN macrumors newbie

I made my switch from PCs a couple of months ago and bought the iBook you refer to - the base line 12" model.

I have no regrets at all - it's a fantastic machine - so small and light that it is a truly portable laptop, and OS X is fantastic. My three year old Windows laptop with XP Pro looked like absolute rubbish compared with it.

I never would have believed that the OS could be so different but OS X really takes its pants down and s***s all over XP.

I'm a part time college student so was able to get MS Office for Mac at the student rate which, here in UK, is about £100.

I bought the iBook from the Apple Store, and upgraded the hard drive to 80GB (which I'm sure didn't represent that much of a price increase) because, as you say, 30GB is too small. I've also stuck some more RAM in it and it works like a breeze.

I've used Photoshop, Dreamweaver and burnt DVDs with no major hassles at all. It may not be the quickest Mac but it gets the job done.

I've just ordered a new iMac, mainly because I'd like to do some video editing which I think may just be a bit too much for the iBook. However, my machine will certainly not become redundant - I take it everywhere and I love it!

Good luck with your decision anyway!

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That is awesome.

As already stated, your programs for a PC, will not work. Your files (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Mp3's, etc..) will absolutely work. If you are using the machine as a necessary means to "switch" then I would say do your homework and go check out the machines in person. They are a bit more expensive, but I still really believe the quality you receive deserves the extra $$.

The Mac is an experience, because it doesn't behave as just a 'computer'. These machines, to me, are sort of an assistant to you. They allow you to be versatile with many many mediums of media, without having to deal with driver's or software conflicts (although there are some). Its virtually hassle-free with organizing your music (iTunes) and pictures (iPhoto). And when you buy a new machine, gaming is very plausible. At least until they up the ante on game requirements.

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Please, switch to the mac--I switched (back) to the mac, I'm never turning back..

AND a f.y.i. : EVERYONE on this website will convince you to switch!! There shouldn't be anyone who tells u not to..You also say that the dell will cost you more money because there is no coupons in canada...That's another big reason to SWITCH!!

10. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

making the switch

Support: Staying on hold for an average of 30 mins to speak to Dell Support in Bangalore? Or having the opportunity to pop into your nearest Apple store to speak to an Apple Genius?

Applications:
    1) MS-Office 2004 for Mac is actually cheaper than Office2003 for Windows. Even better if you're a student! Or why not try Neo Office for FREE!

2) Accounting package = MYOB available for Mac or PC. Better than Sage or Quicken.

3) Browsing & Music ... Can't get any better than iTunes for musinc and you have the choice of Safari (built-in) or even the excellent Camino (Mozilla's browser dedicated for the Mac).

Games: Plenty to choose from...

http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/complete/
    http://www.macsoftgames.com/navpages/games/MacSoft-Game-Page.html

Did i mention no need for Virus software, or AdAware, or Spybot etc??

So do yourself a favour and get out of the Windows hellhole. Get a Mac and start to enjoy your computer experience!