need some buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benalexe, Nov 24, 2006.

1. benalexe macrumors member

Long story short..

I was a die hard PC guy. Last year I decided to sell my laptop PC and get a macbook as a second computer to play around with. At the same time I built a new PC. The PC died over the summer and I decided I can just use my macbook for a while until I decide what I really want to do.

I love the macbook and would never go back. One thing about the mac that I do miss is the ability to play graphics intensive games like half life 2 etc. So decided to purchase a macbook pro and then sell my macbook on ebay. I orderd the macbook pro which Idid not get yet. When I orderd the MBP I ordered the gloss screen. After thinking about it I decided the gloss screen was not for me. So as soon as I get the macbook pro. I am going to return it.

The MBP I got was the cheapest one with the 128 vid card. When I was in the apple store I was talking to one of the guys and he told me, I shoudl keep the macbook and go ahead and get an iMac 24". It has a better video card and it a great machine.

After thinking about it I decided this was a good idea. The problem.... THe Imac 24" will not fit on my desk. The height is 20.6 and I only have 19.5. ( I hvae a hutch on my desk).

So now, I am looking at the 20" imac which has the same video card as the MBP that I orderd and returning.

I do not understand why the 20" imac does not have the gforce graphics but it doesn't. So.... the advice I need do I

a) Keep the macbook and be happy until apple comes out with the next round of new computers which will hopefully have a better video card.

b) Return the MBP Gloss and Just get the MBP matte and deal and keep one computer for now.

c) get the imac 20" upgrade to 256 on the video card and keep the MBP.

d) Another idea I have not thoght of

I few mort things. I use my macbook with an external display and keyboard as my main desktop.

I would not consider myself a regular gamer but when I play a game I want great graphics. I also want the computer to last me a decent amount of time and be able to play future games.

So please help me to make this decision.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

How about:

e) Get the 24" iMac, and buy a new computer desk?

I have a computer desk that has a hutch too - I hate it. Things keep getting piled up on the shelves and on top. A straightforward desk would have been a much better purchase on our part.

Another option is, if possible, to just remove the "hutch" part of the desk. Ours is removable (although then I'd have to find space for all the crap that's currently piled on the shelves and on top...).

3. benalexe thread starter macrumors member

The desk is a great desk and I am not about to buy a new one. Thanks for the idea though

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Since Thanksgiving is over and we are now officially in "Wait for MacWorld" season, you could wait and see what happens. This costs nothing. When you had the MBP were you satisfied with its graphic performance? If so, you could follow your original plan and sell the Macbook and buy the MBP.

5. benalexe thread starter macrumors member

I never got the MBP yet. It is on order in shipping now. When I get it I am going to send it back and was going to get the matte screen instead. Now I am thinking of sending it back and gett he matte screen as well as the upgrade graphics card.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Well you could keep the MacBook Pro and buy a 23" ACD or

Keep the MacBook as suggested and buy the iMac 24" having your desk modified by raising the upper section an inch or two.

The thing with dual booting is that you need the extra HD space that an iMac
    provides to cover your Windows partition with Bootcamp.
    You also need a full retail or enterprise copy of Windows XP Home or XP Pro
    including SP2.

As you mentioned, the 24" iMac has the best available GPU and the screen is HD.

Keeping the MacBook and buying the 24" iMac is not only your most affordable option, but it gives you the greatest flexibility and your desired
    gaming results on a beautiful HD display.

8. Bonnie macrumors member

Similar situation...this is the set up I plan on getting...

Get your Macbook Pro (glossy or matte...whatever you prefer) or you could even keep the Macbook if you like it.
    Purchase a seperate LCD that's good for gaming...larger size...good response rate...etc.
    Get an xbox 360 that you can hook up to the LCD. :)

I was in the same dillema, but want to stay with a laptop and don't want to go through the hassle of constantly upgrading vid cards, etc. I've been really pleased with the xbox and can even connect a keyboard and mouse to it to play games (those that support keyboard/mouse) and I plan on purchasing an HD lcd so that I can hook everything up high def (I don't know much about LCD technology so I definitely need to do some research on this part).

With the Macbook pro, I will be able to play some games if I choose and I have the xbox 360 near my desk with the mouse and keyboard to play games if I so choose. I even found that I really like xbox live. It's great.

I know some people are die-hard and won't like this option, but so far it works great for me! :) Now to find the right LCD. :)

9. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

This might be a good solution. You get the portablity and the big screen. Althought it will cost a bit more money (more than buying a new desk).