Need some buying tips for a design student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wilson, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2004
    My girlfriend has a situation here. She's a design student that wants to buy a Mac. She is deciding whether to buy a 15" 1.33Ghz powerbook or a powermac dual 1.8Ghz. The price difference between the two is $100(CDN) more for a powermac.

She's leaning towards getting the powerbook because she has a PC she got not too long ago and she wants to continue using that for various reasons. I personally think it's better for her to get the powermac because it's more powerful and will be great for her to do her design work on.

If she were to get the powermac, would there be a way for her to hook up the powermac and a PC to one monitor? Her monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 171s.

Any advice on this is much appreciated, thank you.
  2. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    make sure you get the education discount

Regardless of what you do, make sure to get the education discount. You can check it out on the apple store website and click on the green apple icon that says something like "for educator's"
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I think that some device known as a KVM Switch will do this. I've only heard about it, so maybe someone with this setup can verify. Do a quick Google search for "KVM Switch" and see if it turns up anything helpful.