Need some DVD player help.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by menoinjun, Feb 5, 2003.

1. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Hi all. I just installed a new Pioneer 105 in my DA Dual 533, and it works great... iDVD 3, iTunes, and Disk Burner all recognized it without any problem whatsoever. I love it!!

The only problem that I have is that when I installed Jaguar last time, I didn't have the DVD drive, so it didn't install DVD Player. Now that I have it, how can I get DVD player? I don't believe that I can just copy it from another mac, so is there another way out there that anyone knows?

Thanks in advance.

-Pete

Edit: When I ran software update to see if that would work...it gave me the Superdrive firmware update. I really don't need that since my drive IS a 4x drive, and it's not Apple OEM anyhow. Should I just ignore the update, or should I install it?

2. menoinjun thread starter macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

There are ways to install only certain applications from install disks for sure; I've read about many people needing to reinstall programs like iMovie after accidentally deleting them. I'll try to dig up the thread. It's here somewhere...

Not sure about the Superdrive update. You might want to look for the Apple Read Me file about it for specifics.

Good Luck.

4. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

You should be able to copy the DVD player from another mac...try it, if it doesn't work, you can always delete it....the worst that could happen is that it won't run.

As for the DVD firmware, check the version for your DVD in 'About this Mac' and 'Devices and Volumes'...if it's 1.90 or later, you should be all right and not need the update.

5. menoinjun thread starter macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

It says that my device revision is 1.2, but I am using a 4x Pioneer 105. Isn't the firmware update only for the 104s?

If you could dig up that link for me I would appreciate it.

-Pete

6. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I'd say that you should definitely ignore the apple firmware update. From the pioneer site, only 103/104 need updating for the new HS media. The latest revision of the 105 firmware is 1.21.

7. djkut macrumors member

8. menoinjun thread starter macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Thanks!!

It works! Thanks for all the help. The DVD player works! I'm going to ignore the firmware update.

-Pete