Need some help catchin up on macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OscarTheGrouch, Mar 1, 2007.

1. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

I have always been a mac fan, but havent owned since OS7 ish.. I had a sweet black G3 powerbook that I miss :(

Anyways, back then I used things like resedit and stuffit and crap like that.. I know how to use the OS, but what kind of cool little apps do I need to get to have etc... I guess what do you consider an essential "mac app"??

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Umm... just out of curiousity, do you have a new mac?
    Stuffit is still used to decompress zipped files, but other then that what are you using your mac for. That will really determine what neccessary apps you have.

I can't live without mail, it's really a time saver for me. Widget's are pretty nifty too.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

AdiumX beats iChat hands down.
    And I like MS Office... otherwise there's no other apps I couldn't live without

4. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah.. my wife has one we got saturday. I just do various things.. im a geek. We play WOW, I keep music on the machine, download music obviously, play random games like zuma, sims etc also. little of this little of that. i do a LITTLE photo editing since i got a nifty new camera last year. i also do some making *PERSONAL* copies of my DVD's cause our kids like to watch movies also and well i dont trust them with the originals etc....

edit, also how what do i need to use to get music from iPod to new Mac as thats all i had handy to backup my tunes..

Also, are the optical drives supposed to make all that clicking noise that they do when changing out disks?

5. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

is that the best multi client im application? i use trillian now.

I also really like AVANT for my browser on PC.. anything like that for mac?

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Yes there is something like Avant on the Mac, just download the browser avant was trying to look like, Opera.

7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Yeah, there is a program called "you control" it enables you to control whats playing without popping open the entire iTunes window.
    Yeah, if you are doing just basic stuff then the iLife suite (iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie) should all be helpful

8. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, Thanks!

also, I've backed up my music to my iPod, how do I get that to my new mac? I know with PC's it requires a utility, what about with these things?