Need some help (College Calc)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cybiker, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Cybiker macrumors member

alright...so I have this Calc lab due...and i've been working at it for the past week...I could answer these all very briefly, but he wants a more in depth analysis, which when we've never gone over these things kind of sucks...I know a large population of MR visitors have taken Calc so i'm looking for any help I can get...

1) What is the difference between a function and a parametric curve? (Many answers are possible - try to give atleast two.)

2) Different parametric equations can represent the same curve. Give an example that demonstrates this fact. Be careful about the domain and direction.

3) Try to guess waht the graph of the following set of parametric equations looks like, and then see if you are right:

x(t)=sin(2t), y(t)=cos(6t), 0<t<4pi

These curves are called Lissajous figures and are used in electrical engineering to see if two signals are "in sync". Explain this.

4) Consider these two sets of parametric equations:

x(t)=t, y(t)= sin(t), 0<t<infinity

and

x(t)=2t, y(t)=sin(2t), 0<t<infinity

Explain the relationship between their associate curves.

2. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

Study... and stop trying to get other people to do your homework for you.

Hard work pays off.

3. Cybiker thread starter macrumors member

Yeah thanks..i'm just looking for some help..maybe a point in the right direction...never asked anyone to do it for me...like i said i've been working at it for the past week...a good fifteen hours atleast, not to mention the professor has not covered this material. If you don't have anything productive to add why bother posting?

4. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

wow, he just said they hardly went over the stuff in class, plus textbooks suck at teaching at least mine do. Don't be such a stiff

5. Cybiker thread starter macrumors member

I'm just looking for some hints or possible some good websites that will teach me these things...thank you clyde...

6. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

I didn't mean to come across as such a jerk (not by a long shot actually). I'm so used to seeing people try and ride the coat-tails of other people... still a little bitter i guess (i just graduated from university).

i had a lot of profs who were east indian, and who I couldn't understand that well. going to class was a joke and i'd get nothing out of it. the point is - i had to rely heavily on textbooks and the internet to find the answers to a lot of my problems. have you tried the net? it can be surprisingly useful if you know what you're looking for.