Need some help on my Power Mac MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ipacmm, Jan 31, 2006.

1. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I traded a month ago for a Dual Power Mac MDD, when I got it I installed a second superdrive drive to the bottom drive, so I have the original superdrive on the top drive connected to the black cable and power and the new drive on the bottom with the grey cable and power. When I go to turn the system on it only ready the new drive. I know the old drive works, both have power but for some reason the PM only wants to read the one drive and it is the same when I go and connect the grey cable to the old drive...the new drive stops working...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have 4 drives in my MDD here at work.

The faster ATA bus (ATA6 I think) is on the right and the HDs are mounted vertically, is that the one you're talking about? If so, then the cable that you plug into your 2nd drive should be the same cable that your boot drive is on.

The slower ATA bus (ATA4 I think) is on the left and the drives are slid in horizontally. Is that the one you're talking about?

Of course, all my ATA cables are black.

Does your new HD show up in Disk Utility or System Profiler?

3. ipacmm thread starter macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Well I am trying to install a second superdrive and it doesn't show up in the System Profiler....

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

OOooooooohhhh.. doy. Somehow in reading your post I completely missed that it's a SUPERdrive you're installing. I need glasses, clearly.

You know, I had a lot of problems with a 2nd SuperDrive in my MDD here at work and finally ditched it. I could get it to show, but I couldn't get them to both work as I wanted them to, and I figured one fully-functional was better than 2 semi-functional.

What are the jumpers set to? You cannot have 2 set to Master.

5. ipacmm thread starter macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I guess the Master cable is the one that works the Slave cable looks like it is the one that doesn't wan't to work...

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There should be actual jumpers on the drive..

7. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

look up my post here i had this problem yesterday...literally. It was a combination of the jumper settings, and also the cable was bad. So go look that up and you should be able to solve your problem

8. ipacmm thread starter macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I did see your post but I didn't get the jumper setting thing, where can I find to do that?

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

On most IDE drives the Master/Slave/Cable Select jumpers are to the left of the 40-pin socket for the IDE cable. I have several drives here but I lack a digital camera. :mad:

Google came up with some nice results. I have two drives in my MDD as well. The top one is master and the lower drive is slave.

http://www.servicon.no/data/images/IDE_jumper.jpg

http://www.ltcom.com/page/FAQ/Installation_Guide_for_IDE_CD-RW_files/image006.jpg

Option + Eject should open the lower drive too. :D

10. ipacmm thread starter macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I see the ports that you are talking aboug but I don't see what I need to do with them....:confused:

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You move the jumper to either the master or slave position. If this is your secondary optical drive it's slave.

12. ipacmm thread starter macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Got it working...Thanks.