need some help with a pmac g3 and gfx card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zapy, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Zapy macrumors newbie

i just got a powermac g3 from my friend and when i came home i realized that there where no gfx card in the PCI slots if you call them that :)

anyway my question is if i can use a PC gfx card or if i need some specific gfx card for the computer i think its a 400 mhz a 64 mb sdram memoy module where mounted from the begining and a maxtor at 2 gb i think.

just want to get it running and play with it ( last time i used a mac was like five years ago )

//thx in advance.

if you guys need any pics ill upload them later today ( im from sweden time is 13.45 here [night that is ;)])

2. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    sorry, you need to get a mac version card.

3. Zapy thread starter macrumors newbie

do you hapend to know what gfx card it was in it from the begining?

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

any mac-compatible pci graphics card should work. are you sure there isn't one in there already? if you want to run os x you'll definitely need to up the ram to 256mb and get a bigger hard drive but both of those'd be really cheap. there was someone here selling mac pci graphics cards but i dont know what shipping ot sweden would be...

5. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

no unfortunatly you have to buy a mac version of video cards. yea i think the stock video card was a ati rage pro 128 16mb vram i think but that card is slow so i would buy a ati radion 9200 pci mac edition or you can also buy a radion 7000 pci mac edition but if you have $140 us you can get the 9200 for that but like every one said make shure its a mac edition

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Agreed with madmax_2069:

ATi Rage 128

I'm not too sure, but I think the only new PCI grfx card you can get is an ATi Radeon 9200 (US $ 129,- over at the AppleStore)
    This card also has a DVI output (along with TV-out and VGA) which can be handy.
    Getting a 2nd hand Radeon 7000 would be the best buy.