Need some help with Final Cut Express 2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CmdrLaForge, Sep 18, 2005.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hello,

I need some help with Final Cut Express. I have some problems with importing DV Video from my cam.

What I like to do is importing the clips like in iMovie. That's somehow not really working. How can I import a whole tape with many clips that are about an hour long?

There are three options:
    Clip - I only get one clip and have to set the in and out points. Thats too much work.
    Now - capures the whole tape - but not separeted in clips
    Project - get error message with something like not the right bin or something.

I am feeling really stupid here - maybe someone can help me getting started?

Thanks a lot
    LaForge

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

This is one of the reasons I upgraded to FCP. It allows you to batch capture and makes life much easier. AFAIK, the only way you can do what you are looking to do in FCE is, in fact, manually do it via the clip option.

3. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Wow - that sucks. I have to upgrade to FCP then. Can anyone confirm that it really works in a batch process with FCP?

Thanks a lot
    LaForge

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've never used FCE, but I thought that was some sort of option to turn on "scene detection" or something that creates new clips whenever it reads a "pause" or "stop/start" point in the tape.

Lethal

5. carpe diem macrumors 6502

you should upgrade to final cut pro 5 its so much better

6. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I have to look for that - thanks. FCP is just a question of resources in terms of money...

7. uthor45 macrumors newbie

uthor45

need some help with FCE

doesa anyone know if you can change the default transition time from 1sec to 3sec, so that when you drag like 100 slides into the viewer window they all have a transition at 3sec instead of 1sec.

8. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Thank you for using the search tool, however please make a new thread instead of "hijacking" other older threads.

However, Welcome to MR! :)

To do this in your effects tab on FCE move the window a little to the right and there should be a "duration" column, make sure the last four numbers say 03:00 beside the transition you will be using and you are all set. That will make it 3 seconds and 0 frames long.