Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Greetings! :D

To be honest, yesterday my life collapsed out from under my feet. I really have no one else to turn to besides my family. Don't get me right they are great support but sometimes parents cant just stop being a parent and be a friend. I need some motivation, I don't feel like doing anything that I once thought was fun to do. I know we've all been in this situation and its very seriouse so please no joking, this is still an open wound. How did you guys cope, what did you find that motivated you? Any book suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I don't want to preach to you but when i feel this way i turn to the Bible and it always help me. Your friends are always there for you....pick the one that you know will be there for you....

Build your confidence and motivate yourself....thats a lovely pleasure.

Bless

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
who are you? i don't mean that as a smart ass, but tell us what you used to like to do. are you in school? do you have a job? etc. got a favorite comedy movie that you love? watch it. like to draw? draw stuff. haven't drawn? learn to.. it's fun!

what exactly made the world collapse? is it cause it's 666 today?

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Something similar happened to me a while back. I played guitar all day, every day for about a year and then I just stopped when I bought this stupid, stupid video game. I played that like a crack addict for months, and then I just broke the CD one day on purpose. Back to normal old guitar life. :).

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
2nyRiggz said:
I don't want to preach to you but when i feel this way i turn to the Bible and it always help me.

Unfortunatly I am just as confused about religion as life.

jelloshotsrule said:
who are you? i don't mean that as a smart ass, but tell us what you used to like to do. are you in school? do you have a job? etc. got a favorite comedy movie that you love? watch it. like to draw? draw stuff. haven't drawn? learn to.. it's fun!

what exactly made the world collapse? is it cause it's 666 today?

Yeah I go part time at a Community College. Yep I have a job. My most interest is Digital Design/Photography/Drawing, but all those stuff is something that I choose so i could practice it and turn it into a career to support my future family. No, its jut one big coinsidense (Sp?) that its 666. If you really want to know my long time girlfriend broke up with me, something like this is might to trivial to some people but its devistated me.

Calebjohnston said:
Something similar happened to me a while back. I played guitar all day, every day for about a year and then I just stopped when I bought this stupid, stupid video game. I played that like a crack addict for months, and then I just broke the CD one day on purpose. Back to normal old guitar life. .

Its funny you mention video games, I was very addicted to a MMOPRG called Final Fantasy XI when i met this girl friend. She helped me over-come the addiction and help re-peace my life back togather. I'm really scared I might go back to this game considering most my real life friends play it.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Music has carried me through many tough times -- I'd hear songs that just seemed to be written for me and, often, that made life more bearable. Sometimes just simple refrains.

Long walks helped, too. So did getting lost in difficult books and just writing -- not for anyone, not even for me -- just engaging in the process of creating something.

There's beauty in the depths of suffering, in the range of your feeling. That probably doesn't help. Hopelessness makes you intimate with hope.

Hang in there. Know there are people here who will listen.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Working more or getting a new hobby to work on always worked in those kinds of moments for me. Just something to keep your hands and mind occupied, you know?

L

Lau

I'm sorry to hear that, Moshiiii.

I find watching some motivational films can be helpful. Even if they're not about what you necessarily want to do in life, the fact that someone could do something creative and make the most of it is encouraging. The first two that spring to mind are Dogtown and Z–boys and Almost Famous. Although I'm not a skateboarder or a musician or a writer, they happened to be out at the cinema when I was feeling down and I found them inspiring because they were about normal people that did something amazing because they loved what they were doing.

You're interested in design, so why not set yourself some harsh targets and throw yourself into that? Design a set of 6 posters in a week, having researched into what would make a great set of 6 posters. Design a 48 page magazine about something interesting in 2 or 3 weeks. Build yourself a great portfolio website to show off what you can do, and what you want to achieve as a fresh start.

Above all, do stuff you enjoy. Watch films and read books that make you feel good. Hang in there.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Thank you guys. Every word that you guys have written seems to put just a tad bit more confidence back inside me.

Music has been something I've fallen onto, this morning I turned on MTV while getting ready for school and a song was just starting. It was by the "rapper" from Linkin Park I'd assume because he looked really familiar, I'm not one for mainstream and I like alot of quircky bands, probably because I work with independent music. But anyways this song said word for word as to what I was feeling, the guy even said this song was dedicated to anyone who has be left. This song broke me into tears, if I'd hear this song any other day I would have probably just laughed.

Thanks Lau, I really appreciate the support. What you said made a big impact onto me, It made me realize that possibly if I challenge myself I can complete something. Something I could say I'm proud of and hopefully give me back some confidence.

L

Lau

What you said just made me think of something – I set myself an exercise that I had to design an album cover in the time it took to listen to the album. Although I went back and tweaked the designs slightly later on, I basically designed the whole look in that 45 minutes or so. It's a great way to wake you up, and even if you don't like every single one you design, it's a good exercise, and puts you under pressure. And it's good fun! You could do the same with films, t-shirts, all sorts of things. :)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I'm sorry about your situation. Losing someone close whether through a break-up or other type of loss is terribly hard. Probably harder when you can still see the person you've lost.

My recommendation is to put away the prevalent things that remind you of her (pictures, gifts, etc). No need to get rid of them completely, but I think not seeing them everyday may help. Next, when you feel up to it get yourself involved in something new that will help you get your mind off of her. If this is something that isn't going to mend (i.e., not much possibility of reconciliation) I'd break off all contact with her for a while until you've had time to mend.

I often find that writing my thoughts down helps to clear my head and put things in perspective.

At the very least, having someone to talk to about this is important.

I wish you all the best, and just remember that these trials don't last forever. You will be stronger because of this. I hope this helps. I feel like my advice is menial, but it's what I have to give for now.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Go get a GBA plus Kirby-Amazing Mirrors, and play for ever, its a great game.(opps you said no video games) Try some music, Coldplay "Fix You" and must of Jame's Blunts stuff is lifting

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hi Moshiii

(I have a client who has a cat named Moshi -- If you heard the way she says "Moshi!" when the cat's picture comes up on her Desktop... well maybe I'll have to serruptitiously record her and send it to you by Email... cheer you right up, mate!)

At any rate:
You have been given a gift: The gift is time.

All of a sudden, you have these openings in your life where there used to be GFA (girlfriend activities).
What have you always thought to yourself: "I would love to do X, except I don't have the time for it"? Do that.
Have you ever thought "I would love someday to take a course in X" Do that.

Do something completely, utterly new. Somthing that you would not normally do. Climb a hillside. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Audit a course on comparative religion. Try Yoga. Learn how to cook three really, really stunning dishes, which you can pull out later in life and astound friends.
Try Juggling. Unplug the TV, and instead, write an episode of your favorite show, from start to finish. Pull out the paints you haven't touched for 5 years.

You have been given the gift of time, and the freedom to use it however you want.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Thank you again. All this positivity is starting to rub off onto me.

Lau - That sounds like a great idea! I'm going to try that when I get some sleep, thank you.

Floriflee- Thank you very much, you are right, the saying "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" has been through my mind a few times today.

Zap2- Its time to break out the coldplay CD and wheep somemore, that CD use to touch me awhile ago and It's gonna break me down to alittle sissy. That song "Fix You" seems so right.

CanadaRam- You're words have touched me and motivated me. Now that I look at it theres a large amount of things that I've only dreamt about doing because I didn't have time to. I really appreciate your words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.