Need some Serious HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Maccrazy17, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Maccrazy17 macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2004
    Ok, First of all I am a pretty savy Mac user but I don't understand this at all and have even had Apple resend me a new copy of panther 10.3.2 on CD, since it wouldn't install.

I have a PowerMac G4 466 Mhz, 36 Gb HD, 640 Mb RAM, Adaptec 2906 SCSI PCI card connected to an Iomega 100 Mb Zip Drive. Currently running Mac OS X 10.2.8 no problems. I purchased the OS X Panther upgrade disc (set of 3) I reboot with the disc find and the install seems to be going fine until about 85% of the way and it fails...."There has been an error during the install please Restart"

The Problem is that is the install writes enough information it shows up as 10.3 but never will boot up, heck never gets to Disc 2, that I have to revert back to OS X 10.2 and upgrade to 10.2.8 and reinstall some apps.

Apple sent me a new disc even and this still doesn't fix the problem. The Apple Tech I sopke with told me that the SCSI card would be fine, and that my 466 Mhz G4 meets the panther requirements.

What else could be the problem? I have close to 15 Gb free!

Please help!

2. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2003
  3. Maccrazy17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2004

The disc set is an upgrade, so that would not be possible

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    There is no such thing as an upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3. Every copy is a full version. It could be your RAM. Do you have any user-installed memory? Try removing that and then installing.
  5. dudeami macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2004
    I have that same SCSI card and did not encounter any problems during my upgrade. However, have you tried removing the card during the upgrade. If the upgrade works, there shold be no problem putting the Adaptec controller back in.
  6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003

exactly right
  7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    when you insert the first cd, you can select between archive and install, upgrade, and clean install. i believe it defaults to upgrade. to change it, you may have to click "options" first. memory is failing me as i've only done it once....

8. ingenious macrumors 65832

Jan 13, 2004
    Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

yes there is. My Panther discs require a previous version of Mac OS X to install. :D
  9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    As did mine. If you qualified for the "free upgrade" in the fall, you got upgrade disks and not standalone install disks.