need something to gauge cpu performance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by switchedanhappy, Nov 18, 2003.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

I just switched to mac, and one of the few things I miss is the task managers ability to produce a real-time graph of cpu performance. any suggestions on a mac equivalent?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Activity Monitor for Panther and CPU Monitor for Jaguar and earlier fill that role. You can find them in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

3. sethypoo macrumors 68000

That and you can go to www.konfabulator.com to get several neat widgets that give you many different kinds of interfaces to use as CPU monitors. Dowload Konfabulator first, then go to the gallery and search for CPU monitor applications.

Goodluck!
    Seth
    :) :rolleyes: :D

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I want to point out that Konfabulator even in an IDLE stat uses CPU.

(wtf).

If you want just generally look at what your CPU is running (how much %) I highly suggest MenuMeter.

Turn on the CPU area and in the uper right hand on your screen you see a graph (or bar, or whatever).

Very neat.

5. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oh, and guess what? Menu Meter uses CPU too. Maybe a half percentage point less, by most calculations.

wtf.

I still reccommend the Konfabulator.:) :rolleyes:

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

All CPU monitors use CPU power, get over it guys. Even using the Terminal and running the top command can take up to 10% CPU.

However, anything with a GUI takes more CPU power because it has to gather those results and then make them pretty for you. MenuMeter has lower usage because its a pretty basic graph.

7. sethypoo macrumors 68000

True, except that my GUI based CPU monitor takes 2.5, versus 3.5 by the Panther one.....whatever. Use what you like!

8. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

yea for some reason i think ipulse uses a decent amount of cpu just to keep it running
    its looks cool tho , :D

9. sethypoo macrumors 68000

iPulse is cool looking, but I think I like the simplicity of the stadard widgit that comes with Konfabulator.

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i have to say that MenuMeters is the nicest to use and view.

i used to use widgets, but they take up a fair bit of screen space (or at least they can), and if you open windows on top of it, then you can't see it. if you have the widget set to 'topmost' level, then it obscures windows that are below it. you just can't win.:rolleyes:

but with MenuMeters, they just sit nicely up in the menu bar, unobtrusive and out of the way. :D

11. slowtreme macrumors 6502

iPulse.

It uses a cycle or two, but it''s worth it.

12. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I agree, I only really use the calender widgit, and I put that as "desktop" level.

WeatherMenu is a really nice program: all the weather info you need up in your menu bar. Very smooth. :D