Need speaking help

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Apr 15, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Anyone here a good, or professional, speaker? I gotta make a final speech for a class, it's about selling something. It gotta be 7-10 minutes (the penalty for being under 5 minutes or over 10 minutes is severe). Well yesterday this guy in the class, he made a presentation to sell some Bath and Bodyworks lotion or something. And he made a killing. Made it hard(er) for me to create a great presentation in the shadow of that guy, damn...

For me, I'm selling the Mac mini :)D). I plan to basically go like this, explain the hardware+costs, then the software (OS X, iLife) - with Keynote of course :)

But this won't even be close to this guy. I mean he got the potion, and demo'ed it on some chick, involved the audience showing how oil on skin is bad, and all the bells 'n' whistles, the teacher basically says "you want to see an A+ presentation? This is it." :mad:

So any tips? How can I make a killer presentation about the Mac mini? Ideas? I watched Steve Jobs' presentation, but for me it's not effective - I don't have time to thoroughly show off the iLife apps and OS X, and Jobs' introduction of the Mac mini sucked.

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    1. Practice
    2. Practice
    3. Practice

Once you know exactly what you are going to say and how you are going to say it things will go much easier. Do it in front of a mirror. Video tape it if at all possible.

4. Smile. Humans are hard wired to like and trust smiling people.
    5. Be confident. (This comes with practice)
    6. Relax. (see number 5)
    7. Demos and Props are good.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Why do you think it sucked?

4. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

yeah dude, why do you think it sucked? SJ is like one of the best speakers out there. i dont think you should try to sell the mini, the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to try to sell the hardest thing to sell, ex. a piece of string, if you can pull it off, find why people need it, and the various uses it can do it will be awesome, i gave the same idea to my ex-gf and her class loved it, i believe she got an "A" for the speech.
    and another thing, i took a speech class and the best thing to do is actually to go out and talk with people in general, people you do not know especially, this will help a lot, but since you have to do it tomorrow, well GOOD LUCK!

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Some people in my class call me the expert in public speaking a presentations. :) So I am here to help.

One thing to make note of is that interaction with your audience is key. Usually with presentations like the one your doing that don't involve much interaction, I will conduct a poll of some kind. For example, ask your class to raise their hands if they use a PC. and then ask individuals why they use a PC and if they have heard of a mac. Go on to tell them about the product and so forth.

Next, you want to sound interesting. If you have a mono voice your likely doomed. Give life to your presentation by using interesting word and phrases and hand guestures. Put yourself in the audience and think to yourself if you are being intersting. if there are people falling asleep during your presentation, mission failed.

Lastly, have a good Keynote presentation that is visually appealing and exciting.

Good Luck & break-a-leg,
    Dave

6. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Why? It did sound well for me... Steve is one of the best out there...

This might help you a bit... Just Google it ;)

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I thought everybody was stereo these days.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If asking involving the audience is good you might ask people why they don't get a new computer at this very second, and most will say because it costs too much. Then you can launch into how the 21st century is one of affordable electronics -> mac mini -> more about mac mini -> so on and so forth.

scem0

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Holy ****, that's brilliant. *puts into notes* Thanks man!

And why SJ's introduction of the mini sucked, well he was very superficial about it, like he wanted to get it over as soon as possible so he can talk about iTunes and the iPod shuffle. Dunno, maybe "sucked" is too strong of a word, but it wasn't his best.

The speech's gonna be on next Tuesday. I'm thinking of bringing in my Mac mini, hooking it to the projector and using Keynote from there. I wish I could show OS X itself, but I'm not sure how to structure that seamlessly into the presentation with the time considerations. It would be so cool to have a Apple Bluetooth mouse to use as a sort of a remote, that'd impress the audience to no end. But $50 for a class? No way... I also plan to bring the box, to show how small it is. Close to the end of the presentation I will unhook the Mac mini and show it off to the audience. That's all I have for now.

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well, to start, I have never gotten below an A- on oral presentations, etc. in my class.

If I had to do this:

NEEDED (besides mac mini and screens or whatever):
    - Bring in a regular sized PC... can be from whatever year, cheap, whatever.

Begin by surveying: What OS do you use, why, and why don't you go out and buy a new computer right now? (like suggested)

Then say "Hey, one of the reasons I wouldn't is price! And, I have no room for a new computer. I have a great one right now! But, this kills all of those! The most powerful mini computer ever released for a very inexpensive price. The $499 Apple Mac mini, only 2" tall and 6.5" wide."

Then measure the sides of the regular PC. Put the mac mini next to it and continue talking about it.

Be sure to take a minute to explain OSX - its safe, reliable, etc.

then, if you can, plug the mac mini in and show them how its done - a visual demo. Ask someone to do some stuff on the PC vs. the mac... show them that the Mac mini is better.

thats my suggestion...

EDIT: I didnt see your edit... well, work around what I said then!

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Oh oh oh oh, if you do that w/ the Mac mini and Keynote, where a long sleeve black shirt tucked into blue jeans :D and when it's all done, play that song they played at MacWorld (that "let's get started" song). :p

;) Sorry couldn't resist.

12. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hahaha, I was actually considering doing exactly that, but the teacher expects formal dress that reflects the company. Oh well, black buttoned up shirt and tan khakis for me.

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

That's what I though to until I attended a seminar last month. :D

BTW: by mono I meant speaking in the same tone.

14. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Don't forget to let us know how it went.. Good luck! [​IMG]

15. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Wouldn't the clothing the CEO of a company wears during a presentation represent the company?

Do black buttoned up shirts and tan khakis represent Apple? (hope that isn't a well-known fact, because I don't know it)

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Monotonous"? :rolleyes:

17. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Exactly. Pretend I'm a sales rep from Apple. That's the assignment - pretend you're a person from a company, and try to sell a currently existing product.

Well, no. But that's all I have :(

18. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just done with the speech. I think I did great, the audience sure did love the Mac mini and my demo of OS X! :D Only problem was that the big screen... has a very low resolution (didn't check exactly what it was), and that made things look very crowded and as a consequence I cannot demo iMovie (says it requires a higher resolution) :(... but at least that showcased the awesomeness of Expose even more!

Just wanted to thank you guys.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

glad to hear it went well, hope you get a good grade on it!!! :D