Need suggestions on what Mac(s) to buy. iMac/iBook or PB/CinDisp

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BrandonSi, Oct 18, 2005.

1. BrandonSi macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, a quick background. I'd like the Mac to do school and photoshop work. I'm an ameteur photographer but I do sell my work to people and galleries, so I do use photoshop quite a bit for upsampling, printing prep and sometimes major photo editing. I may want to play a game at some point but I am *far* from a "gamer." I also currently use a slow 900mhz AMD 1.5GB ram for this, so I'm used to some waiting. Here is what I'm considering, assuming nothing drastic changes after tomorrow (10/19).

Option 1 (edu discounts)
    12" PB - 1.5Ghz - 768mb - 80gb - Superdrive - $1512
    20" Cinema display. - $699

Option 2
    Refurb 20" iMac G5 - 2Ghz - 512mb - 250gb - Superdrive - $1299
    512mb from Crucial to get to 1GB Ram - $66
    Refurb - 12" iBook - 1.2Ghz - 256mb - 30gb - Combo - $750

Option 1 is about $100 more. I really would like a new(er) laptop to replace my aging Dell for photography in the field, as well as school work etc.

Do you think the 12" PB would suffice for medium to heavy photoshop work? Obviously it'd be faster than what I have now. Are the 20" Cinema Displays comparable to the displays on the iMac? What would you do if you were in my shoes?!

2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    These are both great choices. There is really a negligible difference in price. I think it really comes down to if you do a lot of work away from the desk, or if you would just use a notebook as an auxiliary computer. I think the G5 iMac/ G4iBook would be a great combo since these two machines are better values right now than the PowerBook. You would have more horsepower at the desk with the iMac and the light and durable iBook for your incidental use away from home. However, this would require you to handle two computers. This is not a big deal, but it means that you simply can't unplug the PowerBook and go, knowing you have everything you need. Also, if you do serious work away from the desk, the cheap iBook won't have the bhp you want.
  3. BrandonSi thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's kind of where I'm torn. I know the iMac will have the power at the desk, but I might do some medium photoshop on the iBook in the field. The powerbook is kind of a comprise between the two.

Would upgrading the iBook to 512 make a big difference? I checked crucial and it looks like it's only ~$30 for the additional 256mb chip. I'm just new to Mac's, so I don't know if 1.2ghz G4 w/ 512 would cut it for some medium-intensity photoshop work.
  4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    That iBook should run Photoshop with 512MB at an okay speed, but the real question is, would you want to? 12" is pretty painful.

Option 2 gets you a lot more computer for your money, although I myself would go with Option 1 only if they update the 12" tomorrow.

And holy buckets, 2.5GB or DDR2 for an iMac is only $99 less than your refurb iMac. :eek: :eek: :eek:
  5. BrandonSi thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago, IL

Yeah, I'm interested to see what happens to the 12" PB tomorrow, I'm not expecting an update to it though.

It is a good price on the refurb iMac, isn't it! :)
  6. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    If updates are decent tomorrow. (Yeah it will happen at around 2AM in my timezone :D), then definitely go with the powerbook. You won't get as much speed as the imac, but it will be better than what you are currently using -a lot better. +Get plenty of RAM