Need Tivo Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furryrabidbunny, Dec 31, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Okay... got a tivo series two 40 hour for Christmas. Naturally I'm having some problems with it. I've tried to solve them myself to no avail. When the tivo is running (which is always, something I didn't know) and I turn on my dvd player, I get a gray, horizontal bar running on the tv. In the dvd video it runs right to left, and on the tivo video it runs left to right. I've tried swaping a/v cables on both boxes, and that didn't work, and I even tried a different dvd player into the same video in, and the problem was still there. I thought might have been the video in on the TV, but I hooked up tivo to it and the bar wasn't there when the dvd player was on. The only solution i've found it unplugging the tivo when I watch a dvd. What would cause such interference? In the setup I have the tv (27 inch no name) a no name dvd player, and the tivo. I am also using an old (but good stereo) as the dvd player speakers. Luckily if the TV is the culprit I have a service contract with Best Buy, but I really need to figure out whats causing it. I called tivo, tech support was no help (she thought I had the tivo hooked up to the dvd player?) and their forums were no help. It just seems like a stupid problem that should have an easy, simple solution. Thanks in advance.

2. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    sounds to me that the TiVo and DVD player are sharing the same input into the TV. if this is the case, when you turn on the DVD player it will interfere with the TiVo signal going into the TV, as would anything.

check your TV for different inputs, and make sure you connect them both to different ones, and by this i mean AV1 / AV2 etc, not both on AV1 (for example)(you may have them both on AV1 but with different connection types, composite and s-video for example).

if this seems like the cause, and you only have one input on your TV (quite possible) then you'll have to buy an input splitter/selection box, these are cheap enough from somewhere like radio shack. this will allow you to share that one input on the TV.

hope that helps!

3. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

They are named different inputs (input 1, input 2) and a accessed in different "channels" on the tv. I was finally going to rule out the TV inputs by pulling out the tivo and hooking up another device and running them at the same time, seeing if that line comes back.

4. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    hmm, i'm stumped then. it sounds like it should be ok... maybe the tv is not working right?

5. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Thats what i've been leaning towards... I was even thinking about doing my setup with another TV to see if it happens. Luckily like I said, I have a best buy service contract, so i'll call them up quick if i narrow it down to the TV. Its just such an annoying problem.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Some low-cost televisions have shared inputs, where a set of composite inputs are located on the side or front of the television. This set shares with a additional set of composite inputs in the back. One would think since there are 2 sets of inputs & two "channels" (AV1, AV2)—that you could hook one device up to each. However, it doesn't work. You must unplug a device from one set of composite inputs (AV 1) to allow the other set (AV 2) to work.

I have a no-name television from Sam's Club that does this and it drives me crazy.

7. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

The thing is I dont believe the two I am usign are shared. I do know what you are talking about, and the TV does have one shared composite, the front composite in shares composite in one. I discovered this when testing out solution when I hooked the dvd player up into the shared front and encountered an even worse problem.
    EDIT
    I went to my television makers website (Hisense) and discovered they have email support! (something tivo lacks?). So I wrote an email explaining the problem and the steps I have taken, and asked the simple question if the two back inputs are shared, even though they are labeled as one and two.