Need to back up everything on my powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by big dainjerus, Feb 18, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Hey guys, I am hoping to get a mac pro soon, but for the time being I am still on my powerbook g4, and I am afraid it is getting near its end of days...

I have a lot of photos, video clips, etc etc that I would be very upset if I lost. There is only about 15 GBs left on the HD and I am scared to put anymore information on it because I don't want it to die like my previous ibook did. Can someone explain to me how I can clone, or backup, or whatever, everything on my powerbook onto an external drive? Is it simple, is it possible? Do I just need an external HD and a usb or firewire cable? How long will it take? Any recommendations for external HD?

I feel like I am in a race against time so thanks for any help.

2. macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well leopard has time machine!

another programme called Carbon Copy Cloner which does exactly what your asking for....

Ofcourse on the other hand you could just wait for your mac pro and firewire the two using migration assitant.

The first 2 require a hard drive of some sort but 3 just requires your mac pro!

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded carbon copy a few days ago and its just sitting on my desktop. I'm not gonna update to leopard until I start using the Mac Pro.

So all I need to do is get an external HD and then open up carbon copy and I will be able to figure it out from there?