Need to backup directories with corrupted files..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stevey500, Jul 10, 2006.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Hello, I have a 12" powerbook with an 80gb hard drive that is about 90% full of everything lol. I have nothing backup up except for my 15gb iphoto library. I have 27gb of music and I know probably 5% of my itunes files are corrupted. I have tried to backup my itunes directory but whenever finder hits one of the corrupted files, it will stall. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good program that will copy directories and skip corrupted files and move on. I just want to recover all my working and healthy files on my computer. I'm not sure how some of my random files have become corrupted, but they have. Also could be physical drive damage. I have called apple and they will be sending a box so i can get my hard drive replaced. I just want to backup my working files to my external drive first! Can someone help?. thanks!

2. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you using Finder or iTunes to back up your music collection? Have you tried running fsck to check for and maybe correct some hard drive errors? :)

4. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

i have tried both finder and itunes. I have also tried DataRescue. Fsck would have to be my next try... Will I be risking my whole file system here?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It shouldn't harm your file system. Give it a go. Good luck. :)

6. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

okay, i just barely got my powerbook out to run fsck. i woke it from sleep. 30 seconds after waking up, the hard drive.. Clank! ~30 seconds later Clank!... this isnt any good. I restarted it and its still doing it. I disabled the sudden motion sensor and its still doing it. My drive is failing, fast. I guess all I can do is cross my fingers, fun fsck, and backup. From there, have apple swap my hard drive. :(

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well good luck with it. If you have another Mac, I reckon you'll have a little more luck getting the dat from it by using Target Disk Mode. It's less of a strain on the hard disk and therefore the chances of getting your data back are higher. Of course, the benefit is quite marginal so don't go to too much trouble if you can't find another Mac. :)