Need to Boost Team Folding

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by MrCommunistGen, Jun 8, 2005.

1. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

I don't know if anyone else cares, but I'm a competitive person. I recently went to http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overtake.php?s=&t=3446 which I found off of a previous thread. This shows that (unless we do something) we will be overtaken by 2 teams before we pass the only team we are gaining on. :eek: Startlingly we will be overtaken by Overclockers Club in ~120 days because they have a delta of ~3900 points on us.

I've already done some work towards this end. I've more than doubled my contributions by adding 2 A64 3200+ computers folding most of the time, and 1 AXP 2800+ folding intermittently :D

If only we can get some former folders to resume folding that would help... only ~16% of us are active.

Hope this gets read! :rolleyes:
    -mcg

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yer i read this ;)

I would love to help at more but my only computer is my iBook. Its getting some points though. The team has done well to increase points and our last 24 hour points were 56,736 :eek: I have noticed we have had some new members join (thank-you for joining).

3. MrCommunistGen thread starter macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

Now the Knights are gaining too!

Currently they will pass us within the year and the Overclockers Club will pass us in 90 days :eek: Team Portugal is also slated to pass us in 2.6 years... before we pass General [M]ayhem in 5.7 years! We're looking at a net of a 2 place drop in the next 5 years unless we do something. :(

-mcg

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i will be installing 31 3.6GHz P4 with HT next week

all will have 2 folding processes on them with 2 seperate machine IDs

my little contribution. hopefully they are not too loud/hot or i may have to scale back. don't want the machines to die if the AC goes out. should make me #2 for the team output and hopefully give the team a little boost. small output by a large number of people is better in the long run though

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

May i ask how you come across so many computers, are you in it or something? Because thats alot of folding :eek:

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

He's back.... :D

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

As long as you have permission, then I say its a go. Welcome back and thank you. ;)

It's just very sad that the banner project failed. :(

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For a long time I've been limited to just a couple of eMacs at work, but I'm moving into a new place so my personal machines will not be in the same room I sleep in. So my dual gig Quicksilver, PIII 800 and AMD 1800 should be getting back in the game soon.

Not a ton of help but every little bit counts.

Lethal

9. brap macrumors 68000

What brought you back?

10. meeble macrumors member

I should be adding a few more machines this week as well...

11. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I totally agree with you on that. We all put a bit, to a lot of effort into that. I say it's time to pick it up where we left off.

12. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry it took me so long to start folding :(
    My PowerMac G5 was delayed by Apple and then creeped like molasses when it finally shipped out from Cupertino.
    Anyhow, now my 2.3Ghz DP PowerMac G5 is folding pretty much 24/7. Hope it helps.

14. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK I have it up on 2 P4 machines at the moment.

Tried installing on my dual G4 and it borked the Finder :( Had to power down. Gun-shy now.

A suggestions for folding newbies: please put the relevant links for the software on each new thread and state the team's name and number....

16. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Or just read the FAQ!! But who reads the Read me or the FAQ when they don't get working??

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Good point... except I never enter the forums, I just spot interesting posts on New Posts. So it didn't occur to me that there was a specific forum and a FAQ.

18. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

19. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i'm in charge of a lab installation at the university that's being upgraded. the machines folded on by me and rowercpu over the years were 1ghz pcs. essentially my total and his up to march is the output of the same machines under different names. while in 2001 these machines put out a lot of units, they are slow by todays pc standards. one of the new machines probably is like 3 or 4 of the old machines

they should be up by friday at the latest

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

demi- not omnescient (nor infallible). :D

21. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Let's all wave an say goodbye to those tin cans! :D

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I will be de-boosting my output as I'll be on the road for a couple of weeks and my PowerBook, which has generally been out-performing my dual 800, will be going with me in the car. It's just a good thing that it doesn't produce more so you won't notice the drop much.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

looks like i won't be catching meeble or mc68k after all. heck, i'm still trying to keep ShadowHunter off my butt.

24. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

got the new lab up today at around 4. with some good help i was able to get it done in 2 days. unfortunately, i tried getting the work folders off the old PCs in a timely manner but i couldn't find an easy solution. so i lost some work there but i figure the new lab will make up for that defecit

expect some bigger numbers from me soon