Need to burn 5 Divx movies to 1 machine playable DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dunnstable, Nov 3, 2006.

1. dunnstable macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2006
    I'm finding this slightly frustrating and feeling unusually stupid: this strikes me as something that should be quite simple.

What I need to do is to burn 5 Divx movies of 45 minutes each to 1 DVD. I need a universal DVD format, I can't assume any DVD player will have Divx support. I'd also like the DVD to be properly formatted with a main title screen and chapter (five I suppose, one for each movie) selection.

As currently formatted, each Divx movie is about 350 MB, so that gives a total of 1.75GB. The problem I've had with iDVD is it seems to massively expand these movies to put them in its standard DVD player ready format: with two movies--that's 90 minutes of relatively low quality video running time--I was already at 6GBs taken on the, ahem, 4.5GB DVD. What to do?

I've also downloaded ffmpegX, which I don't know how to use but seems relatively intuitive, but it's not going to give the bells and whistles of a main title screen and chapter selection, is it?

Any help appreciated.

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I would do this with Toast 7

I don't use iDVD because I find it annoying, and Toast is so simple

thing is, I don't think you can fit 5 45 minute clips...not sure, but I don't think so.

I can fit three 45+ minute shows on a DVD, but that's about it.

But, it will be universal for DVD player, and you can make a title and author it with marks for skipping ahead, and back...

Toast 7 is great imo.
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Unfortunately, your theory about how large they are and what should fit on the DVD is incorrect. DivX is a CODEC, meaning it's a compression (decompression) algorithm. All the movies are compressed from their original size.
    A DVD uses little (to no?) compression, so your 350MG DivX movies could each be a FULL DVD using DVD compression.

So.. whre to go then? Reduce the size of the videos (resolution) and thereby reduce the size, or cope with having to put them on multiple DVDs.
  4. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Feb 28, 2006
    if you have an intel mac with parallels/boot camp, you can use a program for XP called ConvertXtoDVD. it auto creates the DVD menu and from my experience does the best with PAL-->NTSC, aspect ratio changes, etc.

i'd love to hear if there's an equivalent program for OS X