Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i'm trying to get my college email address to be used with mail. i've already gotten the incoming mail part of the process set up, but the outgoing part i'm having a problem with, as i don't know the school's stmp server and i've already tried out.***.edu, stmp.***.edu, stmp.mail.***.edu and mail.***.edu. btw, the incoming server is mail.***.edu. i'm not currently connected to their network directly, but i can access my mail through the schools website with an exchange-esue look.

anyone with a solution to this problem? thank you.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I hate to point out the obvious to you... hell, no, I don't. ;)

But we can't tell you what the smtp server of your school is called if you don't tell us the name of your school. If you do, and someone is feeling nice, perhaps they can google for you and help you. Or go there and know.

Otherwise, you have two also obvious options:

1) Contact your IT help desk.

2) Find an SMTP service that will let you use it without being rejected by any involved firewalls.

The other thing, however, is to make sure that, wherever you are now, they actually allow you to access an external SMTP. Many US home ISPs -- DSL and Cable -- don't allow you to do this anymore. In that case you MUST use their smtp (e.g. in my case Cox Cable's SMTP) for all outgoing e-mails when at home. Even if they're e-mails from another account. Typically these SMTP servers work with any outgoing e-mail address --- they don't care. But they only work for you while you're at home, acquiring your internet connection through your ISP.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i've already tried googling with no success, so i don't think much will help.

i went to a really small school, and their website has nothing on the matter. i think i'll just contact the tech desk when they come back next week.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I would imagine its smtp.xxx.edu

I would then guess that they require authentication to the SMTP server. There is a setting inside of Mail that suggests that. Under the SMTP settings inside of the Mail preferences there is a button that says Server Settings. And inside there you can choose password and then put in your username and password again as you did for the incoming server.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
this is strange

the incoming mail isn't coming in mail. i entered the correct password and server name (it's an exchange server btw but it's timing out...). guess this may have to wait for a while to get it working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.