Need to get UFS format off my Hard Drive!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by huxley, Jul 28, 2002.

1. huxley macrumors newbie

OK, so I did a "clean install" of OSX on an iMac, and formatted my hard drive to UFS format. I need to put OS9 back on this mac, but I cannot get this UFS format off! I've tried:
    A. Reformatting with OSX disc, doing another "Clean install" but choosing HFS+ this time - no luck, it errors out 2/3 of the way through (tried this three times)
    B. Starting up from OS9 install disc & reformatting with Disk Tools - no luck, it wont even recognize the hard drive, and
    C. Starting from Norton CD for OS9, same thing - won't recognize.
    Any ideas? I'm open to anything, even those involving a hammer or the sacrifice of a chicken.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Boot from the OS 9 install cd that came with your Mac and then run the Drive Setup utility. You will have the option to initialize the drive, and you can customize it to select the HFS+ format. If that doesn't fly, then booting from the OS X install cd, and have it reformat the drive, make sure you select the initialize/format option before installing OS X.

3. Green macrumors newbie

AlphaTech --

I work in the same office as huxley and just wanted to respond.

We have booted from the OS 9 CD and it does not recognize the harddrive anywhere. Be it in the install, or in Drive Setup.

We have also tried using the OS X CD to install OS X over the existing version -- no dice. The installation errors out about half way through and says "can not write file". We tried the OS X install option both with the intialize/erase option checked, and unchecked. No difference.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

ok, Green, if that is your name and not the color you are... :eek: :eek: :D

I have a system here at work that needs to be wiped anyway. I will see about formatting it with the UFS and then back with HFS+. I have done this before and it has always been easy.

Which Mac are you guys trying this on?? How old?? Which kind of drive (ATA or SCSI)? You might have blown the drive when you did the UFS formatting... :eek:

5. Green macrumors newbie

Yes I am starting to question the integrity of the drive as well.

This is on one of the very first white iBooks that came out last year ...

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

1. open the case

2. remove Hard Drive
    3. run heavy magnet over the hard drive
    4. replace HD and reattach case
    5. boot off the OS X install CD and try again

if that doesn't work, its a busted drive.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: 1. open the case

You just voided your warranty
    Severe risk of destroying your hard drive from that action, not just the data.
    :rolleyes:
    A better option that WON'T void your warranty, is to try resetting the open firmware, zapping the pram, and resetting the PMU. Resetting the open firmware can be done by holding down the Apple+option+o+f on boot (while the screen is still black) and then typing in "reset-all". All of the above do not need an OS installed to perform.