Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
I'm using Quark Xpress 6.0 and I have created some artwork in adobe illustrator cs3. It is my company logo (a ruler with measurements on it). The logo was originally designed as a letterhead, and fits a4 sheet of paper horizontally. Now I would like to rotate it 90 degrees and I do not want to shrink it down. I only want to use the beginning part of the ruler, so it remains in scale (1mm is 1mm on the ruler so it looks pretty cool that way).

What I have been doing is importing it as a tiff file type. However I am getting poor clarity/resolution. Previously I did get a good result but cannot remember how and lost the file. Any help please?

Also another question; How can you 'justify' (equally space different objects) on a page horizontally or vertically. I know there is an option to centre on page from applescript menu on quark but surely seeing as though quark is the ultimate layout programme surely it can justify different objects?

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
What I have been doing is importing it as a tiff file type. However I am getting poor clarity/resolution. Previously I did get a good result but cannot remember how and lost the file. Any help please?

If you save your artwork from Illustrator as an Illustrator EPS then it will remain fully editable in AI and import without problem into Quark, thus giving you all your vector sharpness in one easy step!

Cheers

Jim

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Also another question; How can you 'justify' (equally space different objects) on a page horizontally or vertically.

Space/Align under the Item menu. Can't speak to Quark 6, but in v8 the options are also available from the Measurements palette.

You can also enter calculations into the Measurements palette, so if you wanted a box to be exactly centered in a document, and for the space from the left and right margins to be 12mm on a 129mm wide document, you could just enter X=12 and W=129-24, or even W=129-(12*2) if you really didn't want to do the maths!

Cheers!

Jim

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Okey Dokey, Illustrator eps is not coming out well at all, it is very poor quality. What other file types?

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
An Illustrator EPS file won't preview well in Quark Xpress, and neither will it print at full quality unless you're using a PostScript printer.

The only other way to reliably print full quality EPS files on a non-PostScript printer is to convert the document from Quark to PDF before printing.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
An Illustrator EPS file won't preview well in Quark Xpress, and neither will it print at full quality unless you're using a PostScript printer.

The only other way to reliably print full quality EPS files on a non-PostScript printer is to convert the document from Quark to PDF before printing.

He's right, I'm afraid. Never occurred to me that you might not have access to a postscript printer if you were using Quark and Illustrator. Sorry!

Edit to add: Although, if you save your original illustration as a PDF, or as a .ai file with the "Create PDF Compatible Files" option checked, you can still keep the file as editable in Illustrator, but Quark should accept it is a placeable image, and it should print properly to a non-Postscript printer.

Cheers

Jim

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
England
Sorry for my rudeness!

Sorry guys got so distracted with my project, I completely forgot to thank you both.My apologies, Thanks chaps. You're a pair of genius's.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.