Need to Install OS 9.1 on Cube and iBook G3 500....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by the_wallcrawler, Sep 17, 2004.

1. the_wallcrawler macrumors regular

however I cannot get them to boot off of the 9 CD I have (not sure what version it is. somewhere in the 9.0.??? area). The only other thing I have is my G4 powerbook software restore disks that has 9.1 on it. Could I somehow use this to get 9.1 installed on these other machines?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have good news - I've done something similar to that before (use a Mac OS 9 restore disc from one Mac on another Mac), and it worked just fine. I think that the reason it won't boot is because Mac OS X 9.0X and earlier won't boot on G3/G4/G5 machines. Mac OS 9.1 (and 9.2.2, which I highly recommend you update to) should work just fine.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

actually, some of the earlier G3s and G4s had versions OS 8 and OS 9.0x as their factory installed operating system----the G3 iMac we had at work ran on OS 8.6, the G4 we had ran OS 9.0 and a friend of mine is still using OS 8.6 that came installed on his G4

each time Apple engineers a new machine it establishes the minimum OS required ---- checking around at lowendmac.com I see that it's OS 9.0.4 for the Cube and OS 9.1 for the iBook 500

4. the_wallcrawler thread starter macrumors regular

well that settles the ibook then. i'll have to wait till i head back to work to check with version of 9 we have. looks like we'll have to buy a retail of 9.1 or 9.2. im inheriting a bunch of old systems to test software programs on, but unfortunately there are no install cds around.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Didn't know that, since I never used the earlier G3 and G4 Macs. I went straight from a "G1" Mac (PowerMac 7200/75) to a G4 Mac (PowerBook G4 667 - older).