Need to rant about work

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ToddW, Mar 17, 2006.

1. ToddW macrumors 6502a

You know I'm really not the type of person to gribe about work or anything else for that matter, but I figured what the hell.

So, I've been working on this project since about Aug of last year. It is a huge project that envolves a lot of different pieces of hardware/computing/a bunch of Electrical Engineering mombo jumbo. I've been the only one who has put this thing together, made (so far) 85% of it work all on my own.

So in comes this stupid, ignorant, annoying, person who i have to train and it is really impeading my work. Worse than that, i'm labeled someone who doesn't have a lot of experience in what i do, however, I have US patents and all sorts of technical awards and still people just think i'm stupid or something.

just a little annoyed, there is more to the story but it just infuriates me.

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Just wait until
    1) You finish the project and the new guy gets credit for it.
    2) You go three months consecutive mentioned in the employee of the month speeches as "work with X on Y" and not actually get jack.
    3) Get told by a boss who comes in late and makes up for it by leaving early that you, the first in last out in, don't work hard enough and don't care about the job.

No, I'm not bitter either.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You just have to make sure everyone knows what you've been doing. If you're not already, create weekly status reports IN WRITING, detailing exactly what YOU did in the last week. In meetings make your voice heard, but not too much - empy vessels do make the most noise.

If you want people to know your experience, drop in occassional remarks like, "oh yeah, in my last job, I got this working by doing ...", "when I fixed this in project Y, it was good enough for a patent". Don't overdo it though. You have to blow your own trumpet without being a blowhard. Being a blowhard will get you noticed by management, since they don't know any better, but you'll lose the respect of the other engineers.

4. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

5. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Find a new job. Anytime a company tries to **** me over I quit. Or I find a way to use them.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

If you've been asked to train someone, that's flattery! They know you're capable to do the training. Perhaps upper management knows and recognizes your abilities.

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

If you were put on a project by yourself and have made significant accomplishments and now are asked to rain someone then I would assume that someone somewhere thinks that you are knowledgeable and good at what you do.

8. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Some companies have you "train" a cheaper worker so they can replace you. Companies only care about stockholders, not customers, not employees.

Tales of Corporate Oppression