Need to replace tired iBook 600/TiBook 550

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maxvamp, Mar 8, 2005.

1. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Hello all,

I know that this issue has been severely beaten, but I don't think it is quite dead yet.

This summer, I plan on replacing the two laptops in use around the house. Money will not be an issue.

My wife uses a TiBook 550 and will be getting a basic 17" AlBook. This has been mandated.

Myself, I use a 12" iBook 600. It is definitely starting to feel it's age in speed. Strange and sad, since the machine itself is still in excellent shape.

I love the portability of this machine, and I use it often, and almost everywhere. While I use it mostly for an internet client, as well as a VNC client, I kinda wish the screen was a bit wider so that I could do a little more with it.

Now, I am conflicted on its replacement. Do I get an over priced iBook disguised as a powerbook 12", or do I make the break, and also go for the 17"?

Is the 17" more of a pain to lug everywhere?
    Does the 17" suffer from a shorter battery?
    Is it less convenient of a portable?

I know all the pluses of the bigger machine, I am trying to determine how much less portable it is than it's 12" brethren.

Thank you in advance for the feedback,

Max.

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I'd suggest ordering the 17" for your wife and checking it out yourself. If you keep the 15" for a wee bit, you'll be able to compare your 12", her 15" and her 17" to see what size PB you want.

Happy shopping! :D

3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

That's true, unless you take into account little things like features and speed. Comparably equipped, there is a 20% retail price difference between 12" iBooks and PowerBooks. Fair enough to most people. By the way, I know these numbers don't translate directly, but it's interesting to note that the PB offers roughly 20% more FSB MHz, 20% more CPU MHz, 20% faster HD speed, and 200% of VRAM, for 20% more $ (once you equalize HD and RAM). Coincidence? Plus BT2, HD drop protection, still a better GPU, true clamshell mode, a 3rd speaker, slightly smaller/lighter body, SD option, and audio-in. That's some disguise.

It is the most portable PB by size, and gets better battery life than its brethren, but those and price are the only reasons to get the 12". The 15" and 17" are more computer, in more ways than one.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Go the 15 inch. It's got the speed advantage plus it's a bit more mobile than the 17 inch. I've got a 12 inch iBook and wouldn't change it for the world considering the price but the 12 inch PowerBook seems like an afterthought. The 15 inch screams out as a better computer every time. :)

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ill take that ibook or PB of your hands PM me if your interested or add me to you msn if you have msn.

6. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

I guess I should clarify a bit.

I am disappointed in the 12" PB as it appears to have the core of the iBook. By that I mean that it has a slower video chipset and processor than that the larger machines, something which I quickly got burned with on my iBook, FW 400, slower NIC, no PCCard port, and most likely, the southbridge of the iBook.

Since many of these features I look at as the meat of what I am paying for, and thereby ranked very important in the way of performance and future-proofing, I have no choice but to better compare the little Powerbook to an iBook on a Vitamin B shot.

However, this is not really the question. The question really is:

Is the 17" too bulky to afford the portability I currently get from my iBook ( an excellent machine BTW )?

Thx again,

Max.

7. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I have a similar situation. My wife and I decided it would be best to have a 17" Powerbook for home and a 12" iBook for traveling. I get the 17" and she wants the 12", so it works out well. I just need to save up enough money for the 17" or I'll have to go with a 15". I think going with a 17" and a 12" will give you the best of both worlds.

lasuther

8. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

If you can, go to an Apple Store and compare the two. I know that I would get the 15", only because I have compared the two at the store.

Daniel

9. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

maxvamp,
    You are correct, except for the GPU ... the PB's offers notably better performance than the iBooks, slotted between the better PBs and the iBooks. The particular features in which you are interested are unfortunately lacking in the 12" PB. My point was that there are plenty of other features and differences on which to focus that make the overall difference considerably more than a "disguise."

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I would suggest, as other have, to take a good look at the 15" Powerbook, it is as good a machine as the 17" but is lighter, smaller, and has a long battery life. You noted that portability was important. The 12" PB is a really nice machine and is highly portable, but does lack some features that the 15" PB has.
    Your wife has the 15" TiBook, what do you think of the weight and size of that machine? Could you carry it around? If not, than the 17" PB is going to be that much worse because it weighs 1.3 pounds more than the 15" (6.9 versus 5.6).
    All in all, I think the 15" Powerbooks (Ti - Al) have always hit the sweet-spot between portability and features; however for my wife, who needs portability above all, the 12" PB is perfect.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'd have to agree, the 12" Powerbook offers many extra features (SMS for example) and expandability (more RAM, 100GB HD, and Superdrive) than the iBook.
    The iBooks are also great machines, but I think the 12" PB is no slouch and is not a disguised iBook.

12. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

REAL Battery times

I have replaced the battery in the iBook, and regularly see 5 hours of life. With the upgraded battery in the TiBook, 3.5 hours is average.

What do people see with the 17"?

Max.

13. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

you get 3.5 hours in the 15 tibook?......well there must be somthing wrong with my 15 albook Rev C. it shows 4:00 hours if i disconnect the power, but the REAL time i'm getting is close to 2 hours......is that NORMAL? i usually don't lower the screen brightness or anything, i leave it just like that, with all its power...................

does 2 hours sound right for the 15 AlBook rev c?

14. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

That is probably right. I was seeing 2.5 at best before I replaced the battery. The replacement is a newerTech from MacSales. Excellent battery, and much better than the one I replaced in the iBook ( NewerTech was not available for the iBook at the time )

Max.

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i get 2.5-3 hours with bt turned off airport turned off lowest brightness and set to longest battery life

16. Crikey macrumors 6502

You must already have thought of this, since your wife has a 15" Powerbook now, but have you considered a new 15" AlBook for yourself? It's got the wider screen you want but isn't as big as the 17". The screen on the 17" is awesome, but I just couldn't see myself hauling that thing around every day.

Crikey

17. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Actually, the 15" for me has the opposite effect. I find the unit too big to be portable, and the screen to small to use as a portable desktop. Sadly, I need something at either end of the spectrum. I just have no idea which way to go.

Anyone here with a 17" ( no jokes please ).

Max.