Need to send 19MB attachment by email....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daneoni, Mar 30, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

...is it possible. I can't seem to get a decent ZiP as they size always remains the same. Is there a way to get my 19MB worth of attachments compressed to something that will easily pass through a mail server?

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

What provider are you using? Last I checked Gmail would let you send 19mb files without a hitch, and from what I hear it's now open to the public.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You might want to try sendspace, as you can upload the file to sendspace and send the link in the email and have them download it.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

:confused: Is it now? It definitely didn't used to be, it used to be as unlimited as the inbox, I've sent and received files over 100mb via it.

But that was back when it was closed to the public and invite only, perhaps they've gone and capped it now.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

receiving files is unlimited, but sending i think has always been 10megs i've had it for a while now, got it few months after the closed beta started via an invite...

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Strange. I had it about a week after it was a closed beta, perhaps earlier. Maybe it was changed between those times, I only sent the large attachments once (think it was some open source programming software that was faster to download as attachment due to me still being on dial up at the time) . Ah well, guess that's that.

9. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

You can use rapidshare for free- Up to 100 MB - no sign up required.

10. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

So general consensus is to upload it to one these sites and have recipients download it?

11. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

yep, theres also yousendit. I don't know of any better alternative. Obviously you can't do anything about your email account to send a bigger file unless you pay for it. The only options would be some sort of MSN Messenger or chat application but that might take a little longer. If there is no way of dividing it up, then I think you will have to go the route everyone is talking about.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've has Gmail since 2004 and there's always been a 10MB attachment limit.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's not only whether your service will support it, you have to think of the impact on the other end. Sending a 19Mb attachment may overflow the inbox limit of the recipient and &#&# them up good for receiving any other mail.

Especially if they have internal routing on mail that copies it forward to multiple addresses...

They will not thank you for this...

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Amen! This sort of thing is a continuous source of annoyance for me at work where my email account is capacity-limited to 29 MB. Received messages with attachments much smaller than 19 MB block out everything that follows.

15. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Then...how on earth did I manage that..:confused: Gonna be puzzling about that all night now!

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Can't you send it by IM? I've sent 300MB files to Mum via iChat before - sure, it takes about 40 minutes or so but it works.

18. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

or you can use pando
    pando.comits free and up to 1Gb