need to set up an online bulletin board...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zim, Jun 28, 2006.

1. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Hi,

I need to set up an online bulletin board for a group project. Does anyone have any suggestions? Yahoo, etc.. (not sure what is out there). I thought about using .mac's groups but I read that everyone needs to register.. any ideas on the topic would be helpful. Some of the people in my group are um.. technologically challenged so the easier to use the better.

would love to hear of people's experiences with online bulletins. Thanks :)

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

I would love to use vB but I don't have server space for it. I have a .mac account which allows for groups and from my experimenting last night seems to be the easiest and cleanest when comparing to yahoo and google.

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

For a forum to work, you'd need a database (MySQL being the most popular for this kind of thing).

Does .mac give you a database?

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

.Mac does not have capabilities for PHP or MySQL

6. iGary Guest

iGary

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, its free and you can customize the look one of a million different ways. Fits the bill perfectly.

9. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

no, there is no database on .mac, that is why i am looking for people who have used say yahoo's groups or googles groups or .mac groups, which are all free (i own a .mac account so it would be free for the other students in my class). this is not a long term thing that will be up, just for like 6 months or so. my main concern is that there are some people in my group who are um.. questionable.. ex: one just got a phone, seriously, never had a phone before and she is like um.. older.

i think what i can do i use my .mac groups option and just make everyone's trail accounts for them, making it easier for them and less work trying to explain everything for me... any opinions on that?

maybe my subject title isn't good.. maybe it should have been yahoo, google vs .mac groups

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Ahh I got ya. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Try http://invisionfree.com/.

They offer a free invision power board forum on their server, just like if you would have paid to register it. It's very nice for discussions and things (it uses a version of Invision which used to be free, which is how they can offer that)

I know it is not yahoo/google/etc - but I have never used those, so I cannot say :eek:

11. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

I loved eva01's reaction to your post.. I am concerned that that one looks a bit difficult for non tech people... I am a digital artist but I am collaborating with fine artist.. some of which think that a portable calculator is the greatest invention ever.

I will check that one out too.. going to test out yours and iGary's suggestions now. Thanks!

12. imacintel macrumors 68000

This is an easy fun one.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

gah, i would take iGary's suggestion of ezboard over anything that uses phpBB

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I think you have a new ditty for your signature/location, J. :cool:

Gah!

15. imacintel macrumors 68000

Why do you have so much crap against phpBB?:confused:

GAH!

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I run a phpBB board, and it was much simpler to get started with than vBulletin, but I run it only on a LAN for a small group, so I didn't have to consider security issues.