Need to Update from Mac Os X 10.2.8 to at least OS X 10.3.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by libtronic, Jan 10, 2007.

1. libtronic macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    I have an emac G4 that is currently running on OS X 10.2.8, my cd/dvd drive has destroyed itself a few times now and so I am using an external cd drive. I need to update OS X to at least the 10.3.8 version so I can use Pro tools. The problem is that the external cd drive doesn't read dvds and after reading about Tiger it appears that this is essential. I found this software (link below) which appears to be what I need to update my system.
    Is this legit? Will it allow me to update my software and run pro tools?

If anyone has any advice that would be great... Keep in mind that I am a poor college student and really can't afford investing in Tiger and an new external dvd reader or fixing my current one. Thank You!
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    That link is broken, so I can't offer any advice there, but you may be interested to know that there is a CD version of Tiger too.
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Yes, there is a disc exchange program, Apple will provide Tiger CDs for an additional fee.

It would be a good idea to check first that the external drive works as a boot device, before spending the money on a new OS.
  4. libtronic thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    How do I find out if the drive works as a boot device?
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Do you have any sort of bootable CD around, even a Jaguar install disc, to try? If that can get anywhere, you should be fine.