Need to update Harddrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mavimao, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Hello everyone!

Great site first of all. After years of just merely reading posts I finally took le plunge and signed up.

Anyway, I have an old 450 Sawtooth and my 40 gig harddrive is filling up fast and I only have 1.6 gigs left. I was thinking of upgrading to a SATA drive via a PCI SATA card (so if later if I ever get a G5, all I have to do is swipe drives.)

Anyway, my question is, what brand of drives do you recommend? I was thinking of going with either Maxtor or Western Digital and I was wondering what your opinions were?

Thanks!

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Pretty much any major hard drive will do fine. I've found that Western Digital hard drives (I own like 6 of them) are some what nosey, and are prone to failure. I had a 120 GB IDE Western Digital die on me a few weeks ago, and I am in the process of RMAing it.

I'm fond of Seagate Barracuda hard drives because they are quiet, and have never seen any die.

My iMac's internal hard drive is a Hitachi, and have had it for over a year with out any issues except for a clicking noise that it makes every time the drive spins up. (knocks on wood)

I've heard good things about Maxtors, but don't have any first hand experience with them.

3. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I was a hardcore PC user for many many years and I used to build/upgrade computers all the time. When I first started building computer I used Western Digital drives a lot, but then (as noted above) I started to notice they fail more often than they should. So, I started using Maxtor drives because I found them to be fairly quiet, fast, and cheap. For years I used Maxtor drives in all my PCs and I cannot remember ever having a problem with one. I had also owned two Quantum drives and they sucked. They were LOUD, rather slow, and one of them started to died on me within about 2 years of owning it. If you can find a good deal on a 7200RPM Maxtor with an 8MB Cache then I say by all means go with that. Sometimes they very high end models even ship with the PCI cards included.

4. therevolution macrumors 6502

I also like Maxtor drives. I've purchased three in the last five or so years, and none have died on me yet. I also have an IBM hard drive that works fine, and it's a few years old. I had a Western Digital drive purchased a few years ago die in just over a year from when I bought it.

5. Mavimao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Wow! Thanks for the speedy replies everyone!

I guess I should get myself a new drive quickly because the drive I have in there now's a Western Digital!

Thanks again!