Need to use FirstClass NOT Mail...help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joecool85, Sep 20, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I want to set FC as my default mail client. I've set it as such in my preferences on FC, but when I click an email it still opens mail...so I decided to delete Mail. Now I just get an error saying that Safari doesn't know what to do with the "mailto:" tag. Yeah right, thats EXTREMELY basic HTML, it just doesn't know what program to open lol. Here's the real kicker too...on my PB it works. However, when I set it to use FC on that, it was 2 years ago and on 10.2.x I think that it was in the System Preferences, but I can't find it now. Help me please.

**edit**
    No worries, victory is mine. Just had to put mail back on then create a false mail account to get past the garbage and then go to it's preferences and set that to FC.

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Umm yeah, next time, you could just open Mail. Go to Preferences > General. Find where it says Default Mail reader, and select FC. Bingo, problem solved! I've give you bonus points for actually deleting a native OS X application...although not too bright for system stability.

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, I realize that, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up an account in Mail. Oh well, all figured out now.

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

:confused: You don't need to setup an account in mail to change general preferences. Anyhow, glad it's working.

5. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yes you do, otherwise when you try to get to preferences it is grayed out.